Latest WACUP public preview for x86 & x64 is build #25130 (September 30th 2026) (x86 & x64 changelogs)
Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #25130 (September 30th 2026) (x86 & x64 changelogs)

Author Topic: [Bug] Drone_v11 - Playlist Selection UI Broken In Build #25130 (Worked Before)  (Read 702 times)

Eagleheart

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Hello! I just updated to the newest version and it seems the UI for the playlist editor selection is now messed up on drone (it appears as if every item is selected/highlighted). Functionally, everything still works. You just can't tell what you have selected anymore as there's no visual change when you click on an item.

I get if such a unique older skin isn't fully supported, but figured it's worth mentioning as it seems to be a regression of sorts. It was working fine on the last version I was on.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2026, 01:22:32 AM by Eagleheart »

dro

  • Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5922
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Not having intentionally touched anything related to what I do to allow gen_ff to work under wacup since the prior build 24960 (I don't know if that's what you were using or not & the changes for that only related to the internal xml parser I was using so I could drop the expat library) I don't see a reason for it now not working.

I've also tried with both copies of the drone skin that I've got along with a range of classic & modern skins & none are showing an issue with the selection colour not being made use of. As such I could do with a copy of the skin that you're using along with what colour theme you're using from it (as the screenshot isn't the default skin colours afaict) & what version of Windows you're using (if only to rule out Win11 deciding to mess with things when there's no reason for it to be doing so).

Eagleheart

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Changing to any color theme did not have any effect. The issue was present even with the default one. I just tried installing 24960 over the top of the current install and the problem disappeared. I then updated again and the problem was back. So it definitely seems isolated to between 24960 and 25130.

Windows Version:
Edition   Windows 10 Pro
Version   22H2
Installed on   ‎4/‎25/‎2026
OS Build   19045.7725

Drone skin is attached, but it should just be the usual one I would hope.

dro

  • Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5922
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
It's the same as I've already got which I'd expected so wtf is going on that is causing it to break for you when I cannot replicate it on anything I've tried nor can I see anything with the code changes that I'd made between the builds that would relate to skinning as it's a standard part of the code used for all of the skin types trying to be used. Does making a test portable install & using the skin in it also break?

Eagleheart

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
The issue does not reproduce on the portable install. Hmm.

I checked all of the Appearance, Modern Skins, and Drone settings and they all match up. I wonder if a fresh install where I just copy over all my settings will have an issue...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2026, 11:18:18 PM by Eagleheart »

Eagleheart

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Okay, I've tracked it down! The issue only appears if you have gen_lyricsplugin.dll active when winamp loads. If you enable the plugin after winamp is already running, the plugin works fine without the issue showing up.

I've noticed this plugin can't even be enabled in the portable version for some reason.

I've attached it, if it's useful. Rather weird that it requires both this plugin AND a change from between 24960 and 25130...

[edit - dro]
attachment removed - the installer / site for the plug-in is still available to get it from though the site certificate expired earlier this year which likely isn't helping with the loading of the plug-in.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2026, 08:19:58 AM by dro »

dro

  • Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5922
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
The portable install mode won't load 3rd party plug-ins by default as a lot of them aren't going to be truly portable (lyricsplugin is one of those by using the registry from what I remember). If you go to Preferences -> Advanced -> Portable Mode -> there's an option to allow 3rd party plug-ins to be loaded in portable mode for those happy with things no longer being guaranteed to be portable.

lyricsplugin is also throwing an expired site certificate everytime it loads which is annoying (not the first time the plug-in &/or it's site have gone weird in the time I've been doing wacup & was why I needed to make my own even if it's not feature comparable to what want as it avoids the whole embedded IE browser webcontrol mess that lyricsplugin relies upon to still work for now).

I can replicate it breaking things when the drone skin is the one set to be loaded on start-up & lyricsplugin is enabled. If I start with a different skin or change from drone to any other skin I've got to test with & then back to it in the same instance it then behaves. Though why if it's the one that's been loaded & trying to reload it without changing to another skin doesn't update things is also weird which I'll try to look into hopefully later today.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2026, 08:26:15 AM by dro »

dro

  • Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5922
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
I think I've got it fixed for the next build. There's something odd about the drone skin vs lyricsplugin which is affecting the normal timing of things happening (based on what the other skins are doing whilst debugging this) that causes the bitmap used as part of the drawing of the main playlist window to not be available during the initial drawing.

That causes it to end up in a weird state where the drawing mostly works but the colours basically doesn't as it falls back to working with a default monochrome bitmap that the OS creates for the drawing surface. So that's why no selection is showing up or even the expected colours from what I was seeing & it comes down to a 1 line fix to filter out the painting when in that invalid state which at least for what I'm seeing under testing is now getting it to load correctly with the plug-in.

Eagleheart

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Excellent! Thank you for taking the time to look into such an extremely rare and specific bug!