Latest WACUP public preview for x86 & x64 is build #24960 (August 31st 2026) (x86 & x64 changelogs)
Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #24960 (August 31st 2026) (x86 & x64 changelogs)

Author Topic: CD related feedback  (Read 3097 times)

NotTheActualSean

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
CD related feedback
« on: September 05, 2026, 07:07:06 PM »
First off, thanks for working on WACUP, Winamp is excellent and it's great to see its legacy be maintained. It works almost flawlessly for me, but I have noticed a few things when playing Audio CDs. I'm using the 1.99.54.24960 32-bit build.

  • Trying to play the CD from the left-hand side of the Media Library, via double-clicking or using the context menu items, only ever seems to work once. Once a CD is played via these methods, the only way to get them to work again seems to be restarting WACUP. Double-clicking seems flaky on Winamp 5.666, so there might be some reason behind it, but the context menu always worked there.
  • Double-clicking/pressing Enter on a single track replaces the queue with just that track and plays it; on 5.666 it replaced the queue with the whole CD and started playing from the selected track, like with the local library.
  • Ejecting a CD while on the CD page just causes the list to go blank; presumably, it should go to the "no disc is present" screen.
  • If you insert a CD while on the Audio CD page. WACUP does not correctly refresh and list it, you have to navigate away and back to the CD. If the list was blank due to the above, it will show "no disc is present", and if it was already on that screen it stays there. 5.666 handles ejections and insertions properly.

There's also a couple of lesser things I may as well add while I'm here:

  • 5.666 has an eject icon in the left list of the Media Library, and eject button on the bottom of the CD view. WACUP only has the context menu item.
  • WACUP seems to pull CD album art from MusicBrainz; there's a "view artwork" button in the CD view, but doesn't seem associate it with track metadata, so it doesn't show in the Album Art window etc.

dro

  • Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5895
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: CD related feedback
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2026, 09:35:05 PM »
I've not actively tested cd playback nor the views in a while so it's very likely from other core changes made since I did that things may have regressed / broken. Problems with artwork was also reported but I've still to get a drive hooked back up in my machine to do any testing of the handling.

As for comparing to 5.666, none of the cd or media library handling relates to it & hasn't used any 5.666 plug-ins to do it for long time now (since the x64 build appeared) so problems with any of this are all down to my code alone.

The enter / double-click handling has some control options on the media library root prefs page so that might get it to how you need as I can't remember what I set the default to be (there's things that I default differently compared to what winamp did as that's what I prefer most of the time).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2026, 09:37:44 PM by dro »

NotTheActualSean

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Re: CD related feedback
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2026, 02:17:55 AM »
I have the media library options for double/click enter set to play and start with selected (see attachment), unless I missed something. It works as expected for the local libraries, but not for CDs, it always plays only the selected track.

I also just noticed there IS an eject button of the bottom of the library, it's just moved to the right; I completely missed it. But neither it nor the context menu entry seem to work reliably either... Unfortunately, I'm not sure why.

The number of us who still use CDs on PC is no doubt vanishingly small nowadays, I don't blame you for investing time elsewhere :D At least most of the issues have workarounds.

dro

  • Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5895
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: CD related feedback
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2026, 11:51:47 AM »
I started to look into this last night but my bluray drive lasted a minutes before it crapped the bed (which I initially thought was something I was doing wrong but not, the lights are on, it makes a noise but can't read any type of disc) & somehow took out my dev drive for a while (*) which was not a fun last night & then this morning trying to get things going again & I'll need to look into getting a replacement bluray drive.

(*) The OS / bios stopped seeing it as a drive at all at one point but thankfully it came back & I've not lost any data on it afaict.

Anyhoo, now I've got a machine that runs along with a working cd/dvd drive I think I'm seeing most of the problems mentioned. So far I've only managed to compare against build 23410 (Dec 2025) to see how far back I need to be looking at for changes made (e.g. if it's the libdiscid update or something else as part of other crash fixes that's inadvertently messing with how the cd plug-in now wants to work). That build seems to behave so far which gives me a 10month window of builds to now work my through hopefully without any other hardware problems.

[edit]
23528 (Jan 12) seems to be ok but 23960 (Mar 1) doesn't so that looks like it might help me narrow down what I changed.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2026, 12:27:38 PM by dro »

dro

  • Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5895
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: CD related feedback
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2026, 05:42:34 PM »
The CD view not updating as expected on eject / loading a drive I think I've now resolved. It was trying to but the timing of things with the media library as a whole had changed which meant it sometimes ran things sooner than expected causing it to get the intermediate state of the drive instead of what's seen when toggling the view once it's ready.

I can't replicate eject not working from the button nor the menu so I don't know though it doesn't help that there's a means to try to close an open tray but the way things seem to be reported back are inconsistent or not there so it might be that or a permission problem (i.e. something else having some access on the drive, I dunno).

The artwork should now load now consistently as I've had to change in_url to not try to handle the CD items during the attempt to find what can provide the artwork for the CD items.

I can't replicate double-clicking the navigation tree item not working (maybe it relates to the eject problem) but every time I've tried to play a CD that's been loaded it'll work.

The double-clicking / enter is different to 5.666 as my plug-in hasn't been coded to do it now I've re-checked the code. I'm debating if I want to implement it or not since it'd be adding in another option as imho it needs to be fine-tuned to not use the local library or playlit setting but I suppose it makes some sense to have it for audio cds.