Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: WaveSeeker Window Control Points  (Read 3075 times)

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
WaveSeeker Window Control Points
« on: July 27, 2020, 06:55:34 PM »
Often when switching from a modern skin to a classic skin, the waveseeker window is not displayed where it previously was for the particular classic skin. We have discussed this before and possible reasons why this happens.

The waveseeker window's title bar is normally used to move the window around. Now I'm wondering if it is possible to add a move window control point elsewhere on the window. When my waveseeker window changes it's previous position, it moves to the top left side of my monitor with it's title bar and left window edge off screen. Therefore I need to use the resize control point (bottom right corner) to make the window large enough to be able to point to the title bar and thus be able to move it. Then I have to resize it again and move it where I want it to be.

Being able to grab and move the window without having to use it's title bar would make it less of an inconvenience to reposition. Microsoft allows windows to have an alt-menu with a move command on it, but many developers don't provide for it. If this is not an easy thing to do, then think no more about it. I mostly use modern skins and don't have to deal with this repositioning often.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:12:07 PM by Aminifu »
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Re: WaveSeeker Window Control Points
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 09:05:24 PM »
Please ignore the post above. I found a free utility that mostly solves my problem. It is called Window Centering Helper (https://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Other-Desktop-Enhancements/Window-Centering-Helper.shtml).

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 09:18:42 PM »
If easy move is enabled & enough of the window is visible on screen then it should be possible to click & drag it back into view. Alternatively moving the main window to it so it connects is the other way to drag it on screen before going down the route of external tools &/or config edits. I use winspy++ as a quick way to force a window back on screen.

The main issue arises it starting with a modern skin & then going to a classic skin which I need to find a solution for as this has always been an in off issue over the years but my changes seem to have made it worse.

-dro

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 12:07:37 AM »
Thank you for responding anyway after I asked that the post be ignored.

I have easy move enabled, but I must be able to click on any part of the title bar in order to drag the window. Using the main window to dock and then drag both windows works, but then I have 1 window to resize and 2 windows to reposition. The waveseeker not only gets moved, it is also resized. I'm picky about where things are on my desktop and I like them to stay exactly where I put them. So I'm irritated more than I should be when I have to resize and/or reposition stuff..

I looked at the website for Winspy++ and it sounds interesting. I will check it out.

The window centering helper (WCH) does what I need and I wish I had found it before starting this thread. WCH will serve me for now and I'm sure the issues caused by switching from modern to classic skins will be resolved in time (after more important things are dealt with).

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 12:23:03 AM by Aminifu »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 12:26:59 AM »
It was worth answering as others have had this issue & the different solutions can be helpful.

Easy move means you don't have to click on the titlebar but any part of the outer frame (and sometimes in the inner part of the window depending on the plug-in) will work.

The only part that won't is the bottom right for the resizer but if you get enough of that visible by increasing the size of the window a bit to see more of the frame then the easy move solution becomes an option. I just need to sort this out as it's been going on too long (as per markrh's thread).

-dro

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 01:11:35 AM »
Ok and you're right (as usual) about how easy move works. The few times I had used it before, I was able to click within a window and drag. That doesn't work with the waveseeker window, but clicking on it's outer frame (away from the bottom right corner) does.That makes it faster to move, then resize this window, than selecting it then using WCH to move it to the center of my screen.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 01:14:31 AM by Aminifu »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 06:00:39 PM »
We can view it instead as spreading the knowledge than about being right :)

Because waveform seeker is reacting to clicks in the window it won't do inner window easy move. Having a look & main, eq & video are the classic windows that will react anywhere but anything else isn't. Potentially a bit confusing but I'm not sure there's much of a solution to change that without impacting the normally expected behaviour.

-dro