Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18798 (April 7th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Why does WACUP's installer need to download WinAmp's installer?  (Read 4846 times)

Phuntso

• View Profile
Why does WACUP's installer need to download WinAmp's installer?
« on: February 17, 2021, 03:56:43 PM »
What if I want to install WACUP on computer that doesn't always have access to internet?
Would it hurt, if WACUP installer had an ability to pick WinAmp's installer from WACUP installer's launch directory?

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Why does WACUP's installer need to download WinAmp's installer?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 04:05:33 PM »
It already has support for doing just that for the past few years & it should be mentioned by the installer when attempting to first run it without an internet connection if it can't find a local copy to use.

The specific file you need to put in the same folder as the WACUP installer can be gotten from https://archive.org/download/winamp5666_full_en-us_redux/winamp5666_full_en-us_redux.exe (it needs to be that version otherwise some of the patching that has to be done won't work due to version differences).

-dro
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 04:15:13 PM by dro »

Phuntso

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 04:33:11 PM »
Oh! I did not pay attention. I am so used to generic installers with generic EULA.
I now noticed that it wants to download even more things? With offline install I'm missing skins. Can't tell what else. Too tired.

Installed again, with internet this time, I noticed at least 2 additional downloads. Were they mentioned in EULA too? At least the skins are back now.
But I don't know the download links anyway to include them with the installer. Please help me dro.

One good thing this far is that WACUP doesn't spam reset my internet when trying to listen to an online radio.
Thanks for that dro! I can finally continue listening to my fav online radio without needing to pull all my hair out.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 04:42:13 PM »
The basic install can work without an active internet using the step noted in the prior post but other parts like skins & some of the lesser used input plug-ins with their supporting dlls are reliant on an active connection rather than bundling them all in the WACUP installer & 'bloating' it out when it's not helpful for a lot as well as them not generally changing (i.e. you take the hit on downloading the first time & then the next update doesn't need to worry) which is helpful with beta testing / internal build testing to speed up the overall process.

I've not got the download aspects mentioned in the eula as no one reads that & for the majority it's a viable working solution vs making it a monolithic download (as I've had complaints about that from those on slow connections) but I get that there's always going to be edge cases. I also make the mostly reasonable assumption that to install WACUP it needs to have been first downloaded & is likely to be done at the time its needed on the machine it's been downloaded on which is why I've not seen it as being a big issue.

The intention is once I don't have to rely on the Winamp installer that I'll consider bringing things back into the WACUP installer subject to size but for now it is what it is. Otherwise as long as it gracefully handles the lack of internet access & can get the basic install done then it's working within my intended decisions.

-dro
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 05:07:23 PM by dro »