Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Which skin should be the default on new WACUP installs? (Decison made 16th Oct)  (Read 19080 times)

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
As the title of the thread says, I need some input on which skin should be the default on new WACUP installs as we'll soon have 4 possible skins to choose from when making a WACUP install. I really don't know which one should be the default as there's numerous arguments depending on how we want to aim WACUP going forward or just what people's expectations are in terms of usability vs performance & resources (i.e. classic is much lligher-weight compared to a feature complete modern skin & whether a few seconds to load the skin is acceptable or not)

The skins we'll have are:
  • 2.x base skin (with WACUP tweaks)
  • Big Bento Modern (BBM)
  • Big Bento / Bento (Winamp default from 5.5 to 5.666)
  • Winamp Modern (Winamp default from 5.0 to 5.35)

There are also some other possibilities to be considered...

The first is on a clean WACUP install (which would also cover updating an existing 5.666 install) we essentially force a skin to be selected as per the attached first_run_skin_selection_mock.png image (the layout & wording is just an initial spin on the idea so don't be too harsh :) )

The second is we go with a default skin and instead have a 'pimp my skin' section on the installer skin selection page as per the attached pimp_the_skin_mock.png image which would possibly cycle through the screenshots of some of the other skins present so you can see what the others may look like.

Maybe both options make sense to implement or just the one (possibly the first option seems to be a better fit from the discord conversation that led to this thread & some comments in the BBM thread).

So over to you as I would probably go with classic & the forced skin selection on first run but my view on this will not be the final decision & it's what the majority vote or even what is a better suggestion that comes out from this that will end up being implemented :) I'd also appreciate knowing why you think whichever option is the way to go or not as that definitely helped with the update system thread to make the feature work well.

-dro
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 01:53:49 PM by dro »

Pawel

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Pawel Porwisz
Re: Which skin should be the default on new WACUP installs?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 05:19:09 PM »
I do think that the default WACUP skin should be the Classic Skin (Winamp 2.x base skin with WACUP tweaks).
Winamp Classic skin is the best option. In my opinion if you ask user about Winamp he think Winamp with Classic Skin (for sure old users).
The skin is very simple, uses low system resources and just do everything user want to do - play music.
Yes, the skin is not designed for high resolution monitors and big screens. But, if you set double size it is OK (I use rather big resolution and screen: 2560x1440, 27").

Now, WACUP installer should give possibility to choose the skin user want to use as default (like it is done now).
Such installer dialog should list all installed skins and by default Classic skin (clean install) or currently used skin (update) should be selected.
It is good idea to show few skins (Classic Skin, Bento/Big Bento, Winamp Modern, and excellent Big Bento Modern) with image and short description - user can decide what he want.
-Pawel

Parshift

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 05:34:41 PM »
4k monitors are all around these days, and only 1 of these skins plays nice with that resolution.
It even has the most features, so there is only one possibility in my opinion: Big Bento  Modern

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 07:48:47 PM »
I love the new version that you came up with.
That is perfect. Shows all the skins and a short description.

Default vote: Big Bento Modern
Alternate vote: Nothing is selected by default and you cannot finish until you select a skin.

I like the order of the skins also. We can massage the texf a bit, but I will not be too harsh...  YET!

Azuryth

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 07:58:17 PM »
Same opinion as Parshift : BBM!

MarkRH

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Mark Headrick's Website
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 03:26:15 AM »
Well, this whole discussion is more subjective than anything (well, as far as "how it looks"). Personally, I invariably always go back to Bento.  If I had a 4K monitor, then perhaps it would be Big Bento Modern.  Problem with the modern skins is that if the user does not install modern skin support then it would have to revert to the Classic skin by default. 

Perhaps the installer could check the monitor resolution and if it's high like 4K then default to Big Bento Modern; otherwise, Bento?

In the end, I don't really care because I'm going to use the skin I want to use anyway LOL. 

MELERIX

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 08:16:34 AM »
Classic skin could be the default (as always), but… I guess is better to let the user choose which one wants to use, so maybe the installer should request always (in clean installs) that the user choose a skin in order to continue with the installation.

victhor

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 01:02:14 PM »
This morning something made up my mind for good.. IMHO Big Bento is the way to go. "good ol' Winamp (with improvements)" is the right approach for WACUP.

Classic skin is "good old Winamp", Big Bento Modern is "Winamp with lots of improvements" (too much for those unaware of WACUP entirely). That leaves us with Big Bento as a middle ground.

Proposed dialogs seem fine to me. What Mark proposed is a good idea too, pre-select one skin according to screen size, but maybe that's too much for what was proposed originally?

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 03:17:46 PM »
This morning something made up my mind for good.. IMHO Big Bento is the way to go. "good ol' Winamp (with improvements)" is the right approach for WACUP.

Classic skin is "good old Winamp", Big Bento Modern is "Winamp with lots of improvements" (too much for those unaware of WACUP entirely). That leaves us with Big Bento as a middle ground.

Proposed dialogs seem fine to me. What Mark proposed is a good idea too, pre-select one skin according to screen size, but maybe that's too much for what was proposed originally?

:(   :(   :(
Come on, Victhor.
Your creation is the embodiment of WACUP. Like you said, Big Bento Modern is "Winamp with lots of improvements" (too much for those unaware of WACUP entirely). Well, WACUP is "Winamp with lots of improvements" (too much for those unaware of winamp entirely)
They go hand in hand. But I respect your decision on this.

Abhijit A

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 04:34:36 AM »
Big Bento Modern will be a good choice, it works good on 4K and FHD (1920X1080)  monitors.

Saundi-Hemmo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 01:00:12 PM »
I always use classic. It's because I don't need any fancy things, just that "time remaining" for songs and control buttons and name of the song.

victhor

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 01:06:00 PM »
I always use classic. It's because I don't need any fancy things, just that "time remaining" for songs and control buttons and name of the song.

Although the outcome can be quite subjective, as Mark said, ideally, the answer to this should be more driven by what would best for the project and not so much personal view or habits. If it's for personal preferences I would suggest my skin all along heh, but it doesn't feel right for the project.

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 03:10:14 PM »
Although the outcome can be quite subjective, as Mark said, ideally, the answer to this should be more driven by what would best for the project and not so much personal view or habits. If it's for personal preferences I would suggest my skin all along heh, but it doesn't feel right for the project.

Win
Amp (It is still Winamp because you can change skins however you want)
Community (The skin was made and inspired by the community -namely you-)
Update (BBM is an UPDATE of the Bento skin)
Project (It's your project)

Sounds perfect to me.

victhor

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 03:18:36 PM »
Awesome justification ;)

hanschke

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 05:46:14 PM »
Big Bento Modern :D