Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Transport slider "Click" does not nudge/scrub (Regression vs. WinAmp)  (Read 1819 times)

usrlocalben

• View Profile
I've been using WACUP for a year or so now.  Here is one (of only two) frustrating differences I've encountered so far.

In Classic WinAmp, during playback, clicking the transport slider (single click down-up w/o movement) causes a slight nudge forward to the playback position.  (I've always presumed this to be equivalent to 1px or 2px worth of the timeline.)  WACUP instead jumps to the position of the slider when clicked, which is effectively a slight jump backwards.

For myself, I've always found repeated clicking at the slider in this manner an effective way to scrub ahead and seems to be a useful size jump for both minute-range songs and hour-range albums/mixes.

Prediction: It could be implemented with ceil() in just the right place.  :)

usrlocalben

• View Profile
Re: Transport slider "Click" does not nudge/scrub (Regression vs. WinAmp)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 05:14:40 PM »
An improved argument for this feature:

The minimum seek-ahead that can be done with a single click is to click directly to the right of the slider. If you aim precisely, that is a jump of about 8% of the timeline.  For a 60min or 120min stream that's about 5 and 10 minutes ahead, respectively.  This is a large seek if one considers an album/mix of sub-5minute songs, any of which could be skipped over easily and often.  The only way to achieve a smaller jump forward is to drag the slider, which has its own precision problems--not to mention that doing this to scrub over a 2hr recording would be a painful RSI experience.  Single Click Nudge gives a step forward smaller than 8% (about 0.2%) solving this problem.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 02:41:46 PM »
Are you using WACUP in normal or double size mode ? Though really if just clicking & immediately releasing then I don't think it should be changing the current position & this is somewhat in the grey area of what should even be considered to occur tbh. Plus I doubt this was something intentional on the Winamp side & definitely wasn't something I was thinking about as I've been trying to take over more of the handling from the Winamp core.

-dro

usrlocalben

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 03:10:56 PM »
Are you using WACUP in normal or double size mode ?

Double-size on 4K, Single on 2K.  Classic skin.
WinAmp Classic does click-nudge on either.

Though really if just clicking & immediately releasing then I don't think it should be changing the current position

One could argue that it doesn't do that either since the result heard is a step backwards.

this is somewhat in the grey area of what should even be considered to occur tbh.

I agree.  I've always wondered if it was a bug with benefits.  I tend to think it's intentional since somewhere there would likely be integer division occurring (to transform between time and pixels) and that should round down/back not up/forwards.  I don't think it's an e.g. off-by-one error handling mouse x/y coord on click because you probably wouldn't be able to drag it and get the expected position when releasing it.

I suppose it could also have something to do with mp3 frames. Maybe it wants to snap to a nearby frame and the jump occurs that way.  I didn't consider that until now.

Thanks for the consideration :)

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 03:28:44 PM »
I've always wondered if it was a bug with benefits.
Not sure I'd call it a bug as such & is more undefined behaviour.

From what I remember of things especially when winamp is running in double-size mode it just scales down the mouse click into the normal size range whereas I've tried to work directly with the size mode in use which is meant to give a bit more fine control when using double & triple size with classic skins.

One alternative option might be the click+next button action where you can customise the amount it'll step forward (default is 5 seconds) via the right-click options on that button. Is a bit more involved but may or may not be helpful whilst I have a think about what I want to do with this scenario.

-dro

usrlocalben

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 07:32:56 PM »
I noticed that this works now in the most recent version.
Awesome! Thanks  :)

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 10:20:10 PM »
That's good to know those changes did work as intended.

-dro