Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18916 (April 18th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18916 (April 18th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Adjust volume with mousewheel irrespective of cursor postition  (Read 5239 times)

dayman

• View Profile
In the original winamp I could switch to the program and adjust the volume with the mousewheel no matter where on the screen the cursor was located. In WACUP the cursor needs to be over the main winamp window to do this. A small UI issue I know but maybe it could be changed or added as an optional setting? Thanks for all your hard work Dr O!

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Adjust volume with mousewheel irrespective of cursor postition
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 06:19:27 PM »
Hmm, unless it done was over a part of the winamp skin then it shouldn't have been generically changing the volume. Different skins can behave differently but I'm not aware of having done anything so far that changes what I'm seeing when quickly trying it against a plain 5.666 classic skin.

I've already tried to make things more consistent so it works in more of the plug-in windows where it is viable (i.e. artwork / lyrics where there's not a list) but again it can vary by the skin type being used & how the overall interaction of things is being done.

What action were you using to switch to it? As maybe it's that the focus isn't on the main window but the last interacted / used part (which is more a windows thing).

-dro

dayman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 08:26:05 PM »
Sorry I should have added more detail. I use big bento and used that for years with winamp. I was using the leaked 5.8 version of winamp but i think older versions had this behaviour too. My previous behaviour in winamp was to go down to the task bar, click on the winamp tab and use the mousewheel there, so it saved me moving the cursor back up over any of the winamp UI. I could also adjust the volume whilst the cursor was outside any of the winamp windows

I just installed winamp again on my other machine and its not showing this behaviour. A few months ago i switched from window 7 to 10 on both machines so i suspect this has something to do with it.

Tried winamp on a windows 7 machine and that does the old behaviour I was familiar with, seems like this is indeed a windows rather than a winamp thing.

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 08:40:38 PM »
Are you sure you were not using a desktop mod like Volume2 ?
Using Volume2 I change the master volume using the scroll wheel on the taskbar but it can be set to change the volume of software.
Could you have been using media keys bound in your mouse control panel ?

Having it change volume anywhere on screen would be a dumb idea as it would change the volume any time you try using the wheel for its normal use.
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

dayman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 09:16:11 PM »
No desktop mod. The mousewheel only changes volume if winamp is in focus. Also scrolls through the menus if thats where your cursor is positioned.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 09:39:51 PM »
Are you using the win7shell plug-in (gives a richer taskbar preview & iirc had an option to change volume via it's preview) by any chance on the install that behaves like you want?

-dro

dayman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 11:50:34 PM »
Nope. I believe its just a vanilla install, no third party plugins. v5.666 build 3516.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 12:29:51 AM »
On Win10 I've tried with a plain 5.666 (I won't use the 5.8 betas on principle) & after setting it to use Big Bento & then restarting the 5.666 instance so it appears roughly in the middle of the screen, I click on the taskbar item for it to focus it & then scroll the mousewheel over the taskbar button & nothing happened.

I'm honestly stumped how you're getting it to do that without the mouse being over a compatible part of the skin (e.g. the player area of Big Bento or parts of the outer window frame). Maybe the alignment of the mouse vs taskbar item position is just enough to catch the edge of the bento window somehow (are you using it maximised?) & that's allowing it to work.

Maybe a screenshot of how you've got things laid out might be helpful.

-dro

dayman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 12:34:27 PM »
It is only in windows 7 that I get the desired behaviour. Maybe I should try wacup on windows 7 and see if that works the same as 5.666. Then should it work the same way as old winamp I guess that would confirm its entirely a windows 10 thing changing the behaviour I was used to.

dayman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 02:24:36 PM »
Just tried WACUP on windows 7 and the mouse wheel volume control works the same as 5.666. So it seems that windows 10 is the problem here.