Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Transfer to Device, IPOD Mini?  (Read 5125 times)

JLPicard

• View Profile
Transfer to Device, IPOD Mini?
« on: May 25, 2020, 01:56:21 AM »
I have my Mini showing up ok, can play music from it just fine, but for some reason I can't transfer anything to it from within WACUP.  Is there a setting I need to enable perhaps?

nostromov

• View Profile
Re: Transfer to Device, IPOD Mini?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 02:12:44 AM »
Hey, I've been able to find some idiotic instructions about this-and-that regarding the iPod Mini (which have nothing to do with your actual issue :)) & in this case, I'd start with this:

Code: [Select]
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Riddick
You made three mistakes. First, you took the job. Second, you came light – a four-man crew for me? ******' insulting. But the worst mistake you made … Empty gun rack.

However, it's just a single thing going on here and that's wasting your money on Apple's devices. Their entire business model revolves around using proprietary technology, both software and hardware (down to manufacturing special kinds of screws, so that special tools would be needed to even access something), for the single purpose of trying to make absolutely sure that any-and-all money will go directly them - no matter what's going on, meh. What I'm trying to say is that they're the ultimate rip-off artists.

Here's just one example and most probably they got lucky for only not being in the US: "Apple Sued an Independent iPhone Repair Shop Owner and Lost"
@
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3yadk/apple-sued-an-independent-iphone-repair-shop-owner-and-lost
Aanyway, what ARE you trying to do? You do (?!) realize that WACUP, or WinAMP, is used for playing music files which are in special compressed formats, most commonly MP3 files. Different "raw" music files ripped-and-or-compressed into MP3s which will be smaller in size than the original and - depending on the options, it can get (just) a little technical - the file sizes will vary. Mostly this is measured and expressed in "bit rate", like a 128kbps, or 256kbps file (and there's also varying bit rate files and the max is usually 320kbps).

Aanyway x2, I'm guessing that you're wanting to transfer some music files from a PC, or wherever, to your iPod Mini? So, you could:

How to Add Music to an iPod Without Using iTunes
https://itstillworks.com/add-music-ipod-using-itunes-4494568.html
How to Put Music on iPod Nano (With and without iTunes)
https://mobiletrans.wondershare.com/ipod-transfer/how-to-put-music-on-ipod-nano.html
Top 3 Ways to Transfer Mp3 to iPod (Again with and without iTunes)
https://mobiletrans.wondershare.com/ipod-transfer/transfer-mp3-to-ipod.html
How to transfer music or files between computers and iPods?
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/ipod/ipod-faq/transfer-music-from-computer-to-ipod-between-computers.html

^^ Without me spamming the forums with more DuckDuckGo query results, is this what you were even talking about?..:) Basically, I think it's all done via iTunes, no?! In any case (geez, what I novel I've posted here, LOL), hope it helps! =)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 02:25:14 AM by nostromov »

JLPicard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 12:49:51 PM »
ITunes sucks so it's not even on my pc.  Old winamp had this functionality.  I buy broken minis remove the hd and replace with compact flash converting to solid state.  Sorry no cute strike thru sarcasm but some folks just gotta advise.
I have also experimented with rockbox to enable flac which ipod firmware does not permit.  So yeah just want to transfer mp3 from pc to mini.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 01:01:48 PM by JLPicard »

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 07:18:35 PM »
Hi JLPicard,

What pmp_*.dll plug-ins are you using? You should also have the ml_pmp.dll plug-in installed. The pmp_ipod.dll plug-in is old and only supports certain early ipod models. I'm only using the pmp_usb.dll plug-in and have no issues transferring files to devices that can connect to my computer's usb ports.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 07:20:13 PM by Aminifu »
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

JLPicard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 11:44:15 PM »
Thanks for the helpful reply.  I have ml_pmp.dll in the plugins folder, also have pmp_ipod.dll and pmp_usb.dll installed.  I removed pmp_ipod.dll from the plugins folder and rebooted WACUP.  WACUP will not see my ipod probably because my ipod mini should be considered an 'early ipod model'.  I tried to configure pmp_usb.dll to recognize my 'device' it shows up as Drive F, so that's what I used.  No luck.  It seems the only way to get WACUP to recognize and discover the ipod mini is if the pmp_ipod.dll is in the plug ins folder.  I have the 2013 pmp_ipod.dll installed, I tried replacing this 2013 version with the 2018 .dll that I assume is the 5.8 Winamp version.  When I did that and I check for plugins while in WACUP I get a warning:
pmp_ipod.dll
This could not be loaded as dlls from the reviled 5.8 beta or Winamp's owners since 2014 are not supported.

So yeah, it appears that the ipod.dll is not fully supported by WACUP, I can play music, but can't send any .mp3's to it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 11:54:56 PM by JLPicard »

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 05:37:00 AM »
I assume you want to copy mp3 files to 1 or more folders that already exist on your ipod. Since you can configure pmp_usb.dll to connect to your ipod as drive F, there is another plug-in that could possibly be used to copy the files. It is a general purpose plug-in called "Yar-matey! Playlist Copier" (gen_yar.dll). It will send a copy of all the files listed in the playlist editor window to a folder of your choice. It shows up in the main player's right-click (context) menu as "Copy playlist files".

If Yar-matey! can see the folder(s) you want to use on your ipod, then it should be able to copy the files listed in the playlist editor to it(them). I'm using version 1.12 of Yar-matey!. If you can't find it doing a web search, I can PM you a copy.

If Windows Explorer can see the folders on your ipod, you should be able to use it to copy files, as another work-a-round.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:14:00 AM by Aminifu »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 05:48:08 AM »
The ipod afaik uses a custom way of interacting with it that changed a number of times until updating the Winamp plug-ins was stopped as it meant getting into an area of potential legal issue. So whether it's a plain Winamp install or a WACUP install using pmp_ipod (pmp_usb won't work unless you're using a custom firmware - dunno if that's the case or not from say rockbox), it's probably not going to work & ml_ipod has a similar issue as well with the level of support that it offers (iirc it mostly came down to not being able to access the database on the device which is needed to correctly recognise any files copied over to it). As I don't have any ipods (never did & I missed the boat on picking up them on the cheap before the price gouging that's gone on with them) I don't have any other obvious solutions / workarounds to try as I don't know what might work.

-dro
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 05:49:27 AM by dro »

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 06:18:00 AM »
The ipod afaik uses a custom way of interacting with it that changed a number of times ...

Yeah, you're probably right. That's why I don't use Apple products. Never have, never will.

Apple is also quick to abandon older models of their stuff when new models come out.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:24:58 AM by Aminifu »

JLPicard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 01:16:27 PM »
If anyone is interested, here's a tutorial:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Upgrade-Your-iPod-Mini-With-Flash-Memory---No-More/

I've converted probably a dozen of these over the years.  I normally will hit sleezebay and find one with a working display and button, just a bad HD.  You can use a compact flash card (normally for digital cameras) or you can use a compact flash to micro-SD although this way won't always work.  I've increased the storage on these Mini's to 128G.  They won't support FLAC with Apple firmware, but if you flash them to Rockbox you can.  I've done that but I find the interface clunky and support with Winamp is not there for Rockbox, so I don't use Rockbox, I have to be able to use WinAmp. 

I installed the Yar Matey DLL and it worked for me, I just can't locate the MP3 in the interface.  I've determined it's there in Windows file explorer and it plays it's just not using Apple naming convention.  BUT I did discover, I can now drag a song from my PC to an open Playlist and it transfers it over!  So that functionality works fine for me.

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 08:07:08 PM »
Hi JLPicard,

I'm glad you found a work-a-round that meets your needs.