Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: suggestion: load files from the same directory when opening a single file  (Read 3435 times)

Jawhien

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Hello.

I was looking for, but it seems no such a function that when you open the file in the playlist was loaded from all files in this directory.
Is it possible to implement?

Thank you!

Mits

• View Profile
I struggled a bit to understand what you mean, but I think I got the gist of it:

The default action of Wacup (and old Winamp) for running (opening) something is to 'Open Playlists' and not 'open files'. Therefore, using keyboard Ctrl+O will not show files, which is counterintuitive: the standard way of opening anything in any computer app, be it spreadsheets or documents or images, is File-Open or Ctrl+O.

Note 1: In addition, Wacup also can load playlists from other programs, as well as archive files (zip etc.). Wacup classifies archives as playlists and in a sense they are - you can play a full album by selecting one file.

What I think you need is Open File, which is available by pressing L (= Load?) while the focus is either in the main window or in the playlist, or by right-clicking on the main window (but NOT in the playlist window - IMHO it should be available there too!) and selecting --> Play --> File. From there you can select as usual which files to play.

Note 2: Pressing L also allows to open playlists, audio files and archives i.e. everything Wacup/Winamp can open, so I wonder how historically we were led at this point. The logical thing would be to let Ctrl-O to open anything in place of L, but I don't want to start any GUI wars :-)

Jawhien

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Hello.

I'm sorry, I'm not quite correctly expressed.
I didn't mean the situation when the file is opened from the player itself, I mean, when a file is opened from windows Explorer or other file Manager.
Such functions are now in many players.

Thanks!

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Other than drag+dropping a folder onto WACUP, I'd assume this is likely due to WACUP running in a portable only mode as far as the OS registry integration goes which means there isn't the standard integration with Explorer at the moment.

Unless you mean having it automatically load the other files within the same folder as a single file being added? If so then it's something that would need support being added.

-dro

Jawhien

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Hello.

Yes, I really mean integration with windows explorer.
When files with a specific extension are associated with the player. Now, of course, these functions are disabled, but in winamp, if I’m not mistaken, there was no way to make sure that not only one file was played back from windows explorer, but also all other files from this folder.

By the way, you can associate files with WACUP now, without the means of integration with windows explorer :)

I hope I could explain my proposal more accurately. sorry for my bad english :)

Thanks.

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
... but in winamp, if I’m not mistaken, there was no way to make sure that not only one file was played back from windows explorer, but also all other files from this folder.

In Winamp the file context menu commands work on 1 file or a group of selected files in a folder.
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Depending on how things have been setup then folder actions also were present. However there's issues from the number of files that are selected vs other things that Explorer does which means some aspects can be manually set or will work but there's other parts that ideally need a shell extension & some other in-core changes to work better with what the OS via the user action tries to set.

It also doesn't help that some of the actions that Winamp can do are hindered by the current design of WACUP (due to using an intermediate process to start the Winamp process so I can do the early hooking that's needed).

Manually associating is one of those areas that generally works but it's done on a per file type basis & doesn't offer the folder integration actions that Winamp could do. Either way it'll all be looked into once I've got the WACUP -> Winamp core handling for trying to receive files & folders completely replaced so I can then offer more control over things :)

-dro