Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18798 (April 7th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: What's Playing plugin  (Read 3745 times)

etsaman

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
What's Playing plugin
« on: April 29, 2020, 06:32:13 PM »
Hi Darren, for some reason, the What's Playing V2.2. plugin doesn't seem to work anymore on WACUP (works on 5.666);  https://winampheritage.com/plugin/whats-playing-v2-dot-2/141842
The plugin is used to feed basic data (Artist, Title etc) to the Homeseer3 Winamp plugin developped by Jon00 ( see previous thread on JTFE & line commands)
Any way to restore compatibility or workarounds?

Thanks for your continued support,
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 06:33:55 PM by etsaman »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: What's Playing plugin
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 10:00:15 PM »
What steps am I meant to follow to check it's working & what's the expected output / configuration to do that ? As it seems there's nothing in the config from a a clean install.

Also there seems to be some overlap of it with the Yule Log plug-in & it's logging modes - is there something specific that's needed that it isn't doing?

-dro

jon00

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 10:22:49 PM »
Hi, let me step in here.

The plugin is not providing information about the Title/Artist/Album/Year/Genre and possibly Comment.

To test, save the two files attached somewhere and configure the plugin similar to the attached screenshot.

When the song changes, infoout.txt should contain the actual metrics playing by Wacup. It works fine in Winamp

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 12:10:37 AM »
Thanks. I'm going to have a very quick look now in case its something simple that is causing it otherwise I'll look into it properly once I've got the new preview build out of the door (as it's meant to save me time looking at crash reports to be able to work on coding & fixing issues :) ).

-dro

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 12:57:10 AM »
The only issue I can see (done against builds 5454/6) with it is that it's not making use of the Winamp/WACUP settings folder for storing its gen_whatsplaying.ini settings file which is a shame since it's from 2005 & the methods needed had been out for a few years by that time.

That prevents it saving the file & any settings changes unless running as an admin account (which isn't advised unless doing it as one off to allow a plug-in to at least save it's settings) so I can look into patching that.

Otherwise once I've got the plug-in configured as above then it will update the infoout.txt file with the MP3 & M4A files I tried it with.

[edit]
I've patched the plug-in ini read/write handling so it'll now store things in the settings folder. That will generally require re-entering the prior settings as I'm not trying to migrate settings for a plug-in that not many are going to be using.

-dro
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 01:36:31 AM by dro »

jon00

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 09:02:49 AM »
Many thanks for your speedy response and fix.

Will the patch be part of wacup or something else?

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 02:41:35 PM »
It's done as part of the low level hooking that WACUP does on certain plug-in API calls when running under it. The plug-in doesn't generally know & to the user it should then "just work".

-dro