Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Album Art workaround: Hardlinks  (Read 2678 times)

WackaMold

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Album Art workaround: Hardlinks
« on: April 27, 2020, 08:46:17 PM »
Under Preferences / Album Art / Reading Options I could not figure out with the various options how to make WacUp find the graphic files in my album folders, which are named like "Artist - Album.[PNG|JPG|etc]". As a workaround, I created Hardlinks named "Album.[PNG|JPG|etc]", so that WacUp would find and display my files without my changing their names.

A Hardlink is a directory entry that points to the same file data as another directory entry. Any given file-data can be pointed-to by some number of directory entries. Each Hardlink directory entry is a reference count to the file-data. Each additional Hardlink pointing to a file-data takes up zero extra storage space on disk; of course it does take up an entry's worth of space in the directory portion of the filesystem. Hardlink directory entries look like separate files; they all report the same filesize. So when you add another Hardlink pointing to the same file-data, the total of filesizes in the folder gets larger, but the bytes-free remaining on disk does NOT get smaller! Hardlinks are a feature of NTFS; they cannot span across to other volumes. Annoyingly, most backup and directory comparison programs don't know about Hardlinks, so they treat each additional reference as a separate file. Thus, backup folders will contain duplicate copies of the same file-data but having different filenames, even though the source folders have only one copy of the file-data.

The command built in to Windows for creating Hardlinks and related stuff is MkLink. The utility program I use for reading them is the commandline Ln.EXE from https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html#hardlinks The GUI way of creating them is built in to xplorer² from https://zabkat.com/x2facts.htm This terrific replacement for Windows Explorer easily displays the reference count for hardlinked files, in the form of a file property named 'Links'. More great explanation at https://www.zabkat.com/blog/20Feb11-symbolic-links.htm and https://www.zabkat.com/blog/11Feb07.htm

To illustrate, compare the attached screenshots. The first screenshot shows the Reading Options configuration. The next screenshot is a directory listing of normal WacUp operation, using "NFO file with same filename as an image file in the containing folder". In other words, a "pointer" file named
  "Graphic Filename.NFO" tells WacUp to search for files named
  "Graphic Filename.<supported_image_format>". The NFO file contents are irrelevant, so the file is best left as empty/zero length.
The last screenshot is a directory listing of the Hardlink workaround in action, using "%album%.<supported_image_format> in the containing folder".
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 08:48:33 PM by WackaMold »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Album Art workaround: Hardlinks
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 09:36:54 PM »
You could have just asked for "artist - album.*" matching support or as will be better & something I'll do in a later build, adding a customised field so you could then just adjust it as needed in addition to the fixed options that are currently provided.

-dro

WackaMold

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 09:49:14 PM »
Let me confirm what I think you mean:
1. I could have requested for you add a new fixed option according to my specification.
2. Your plan is to include in a future build a new option for a user-customizable field.
Thanks - my other post in forum "Wishlist / Feature Requests" goes into this in detail.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 09:56:03 PM »
Yes on both parts, with the second covering more possibilities vs a simple hard coded match.

Also reminding &/or nudging me on prior posts is helpful as there's a lot going on which can make me forget what has or hasn't yet been requested.

-dro