Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Not So YASAPI Output Plug-in v1.0 Beta (v1.1 update provided)  (Read 12306 times)

Chillbo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Not So YASAPI Output Plug-in v1.0 Beta (v1.1 update provided)
« on: February 10, 2018, 05:34:05 PM »
Hello,

I'm new here... Mostly interested in the output plug-in developed here to use with the Windows Audio Session API explusive mode.
Unfortunately I'm running into problems with the plug-in every time and it's pretty much unusable for me:

I open up the settings panel of the plug-in, configure it to pass audio to the correct (S/PDIF) audio interface and set the settings to my liking (especially to "exclusive") to ensure bit-perfect playback. Then I click "save" and "OK" to close the settings panel. But as soon as I open up the settings panel again, the settings are back to the initial state... What am I doing wrong here or this simply not working properly yet?

My Winamp version is not a WACUP beta version as I'm not a beta tester yet, but it's the latest official build that I could find: Winamp 5.666 build 3516.

Hoping to get some help from you guys as I'm still loving Winamp a lot, but the only thing missing atm is a decent and properly working WASAPI exclusive output plug-in to use with my M2Tech HiFace (which doesn't support ASIO and the kernel output method is quite flaky)!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:48:16 PM by dro »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Not So YASAPI Output Plug-in v1.0 Beta
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 08:10:13 PM »
It seems I've replied via facebook already for this but will post here for others interested... the reported issue is down to the plug-in & not having updated the non-WACUP version of the plug-in to get those fixes. I hope to have that situation resolved later on in the coming week (hopefully also having the source on github instead of doing zipped code bundles).

-dro

Chillbo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 04:43:30 PM »
Thank you very much for both replies... Sry, for asking twice. I only became aware of the forum after sending the message via FB.

Now I remember that you sent me a v1.0 Beta 2 once as I had been testing the Not So YASAPI Output Plug-in already before (more than a year ago). That solved the saving issue, but it keeps crashing Winamp constantly - I never got it to successfully output anything. With the PBelkner plug-in it used to work, but for obvious reasons (see the political statement on his website) I'd really like to avoid him and his plug-in in the future.
If I can help, solving the issues with the plug-in and get it properly working, I'd be happy to do so...
This project gives me the impression of a bright future when it comes to support and help! Really looking forward to seeing great things here... Winamp is still THE audio player for my Windows PC and I'd like to keep it that way.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 05:47:46 PM »
I've just uploaded a standalone copy of the plug-in (now at v1.1) to https://getwacup.com/plugins/not_so_yasapi/ with all of the fixes from the plug-in test builds that others have tried out. I've also done better on my timings this week as I didn't expect to get around to doing this until Sunday evening so over to you now :)

-dro

Chillbo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Re: Not So YASAPI Output Plug-in v1.0 Beta (v1.1 update provided)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 12:14:30 PM »
Thanks... Wanted to install the v1.1 version, but I noticed that the download button - labled v1.1 - let's me only download the v1.0 version. Double-checked by installing from that installer: yep, it's still the v1.0 version. Is there a mistake or did you just not change the lable in the installer and plugin?

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 12:51:53 PM »
Oh bollocks & I can't change the link at the moment :(

Manually copy the link and replace the end part of 0_beta.exe to be 1.exe & that should work.

-dro

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 05:42:25 PM »
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but can someone explain to me (in somewhat simple terms) the benefits of using WASAPI (YASAPI) over the default DirectSound?
Is one better? Have better features?
Just Curious.
Thanks in advance

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 06:38:11 PM »
WASAPi is basically the core audio system in Windows now (since vista iirc) with the likes of DirectSound & Waveout implemented on top of it. So it's potentially lower latency & cleaner to work with along with the potential of less being done to the audio from when it's passed into the WASAPI system until being heard.

As the DirectSound 'emulation' is good, it's more personal preference as to which is better (I can't tell a difference between the two modes but others seem to).

-dro

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 05:15:14 PM »
I also do not hear any difference in the final output sound quality between the WASAPI and DirectSound sound systems in Windows (given all other sound control variables being equal). However, the volume does seem louder with WASAPI for a given overall output level setting on my computer. Quality variations in the digital to analog converters in various sound devices (on-board chips and external cards) and variations in the frequency responses of speakers (and earphones) have a much more noticeable affect on the sound quality, imo.

The support WASAPI has for exclusive mode is the only feature difference I'm aware of between WASAPI and DirectSound. Exclusive mode allows a properly written app to take (and release) control of inputs to the selected default sound device and mute any sound coming from all other apps.
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 05:17:29 PM »
Is there a mistake or did you just not change the lable in the installer and plugin?
Broken link finally fixed. Sorry about that.

-dro

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 08:10:10 PM »
To end (or add to) The Direct Sound vs. WASAPI (YASAPI) debate, I found this thread on reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/ZReviews/comments/7thebt/asi_vs_wasapi_vs_directsound/

I'm satisfied.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 08:28:39 PM »
Use what you're happy with & like the sound off. That's the best approach :)

-dro