Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Art Navigator  (Read 20012 times)

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Art Navigator
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 05:31:41 PM »
But if I am not wrong, you don't distribute all widgets (only BrowserPro, NowPlaying)
My aim was only to include the _base_ cPro files needed & not the additional widgets as they're not required to use a cPro skin.

@Benco asked about widget (suggested by @victhor) and I have it on my disk (svn copy for 2.02 version) -> Chapterlist, CoolVU, PictureBox,  Shoutbox.
This is why I was looking for some clarification of what was actually being talked about / wanted as it wasn't 100% clear :)

Ps:
CPro in WACUP:
1. You distribute source m files, but I do not see maki compiler...
2. This looks like unpacked installer dir (via 7zip -> to remove?): WACUP\Plugins\ClassicPro\engine\widgets\Data\NowPlaying\$SMPROGRAMS
3. This also should be removed, as this includes installes source files (NOT INCLUDED): WACUP\Plugins\ClassicPro\engine\widgets\cpro-widget-BrowserPro.nsi
What I included in WACUP is what was provided in the last installer provided (the 2.03 revision) & effectively just is a folder copy since that worked & not knowing the full details of what is / isn't needed, it was simpler to go that route (since that's what was being 'officially' provided.

Afaik all of the maki files are there (based on what I've taken from the installer I was working with vs what got installed by said installer). I'll remove those parts you've mentioned though it may only apply to new installs as I try not to touch that folder unless there's a proper new update that needs to be installed (which seems like there may not be any going forward with the demise of the site & other things).

-dro

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 05:37:11 PM »
My point is that developers may provide some support for what is in their official installers, but can not be expected to provide support for what is not.
Well said :) Like I put in my reply above, I'm only including what was officially provided just for that reason, including everything adds a level of expected support when it cannot really be achieved.

As I could have done as some have proposed elsewhere & just bundle every known plug-in into a plug-in pack & that be wacup but that would just not be a nice experience (once you filter out the ones that crash on loading) as including everything obtains the 'bloat' complaints but then not including enough gets complaints from those who just cannot be bothered to install something else.

So I'd like to think in the cPro scenario that I've got a reasonable middle-ground in using just the 'base' install & if more is wanted then the user (as was always the case) then they can be manually installed (but that brings the issue in finding them if the original site is gone at this time).

-dro

Benco

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 02:43:27 PM »
Hi all,

thanks for the link. This picture box widget gets the job done. On the other hand, it's even more restrictive than just relying on modern skins. I prefer to use the Big Bento skin, and couldn't find an exact CPro copy of it (though there's one that is quite close to it).

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 05:50:16 PM »
I've finally gotten around to trying out the picturebox widget & it seems to be failing to find / show the artwork in most of the files I had in my test install. Maybe I'm missing something but for the ones that it does show something, what it shows doesn't seem correct as I know there's no folder.jpg or albumartsmall.jpg files. However looking at it, it makes it clearer of what's being asked for :)

-dro

victhor

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 02:21:02 AM »
I've finally gotten around to trying out the picturebox widget & it seems to be failing to find / show the artwork in most of the files I had in my test install. Maybe I'm missing something but for the ones that it does show something, what it shows doesn't seem correct as I know there's no folder.jpg or albumartsmall.jpg files. However looking at it, it makes it clearer of what's being asked for :)

Hmm.. it's working for me on last WACUP build, the screenshot shows how JPGs and PNGs are displayed, but what you won't get is the embeded mp3 cover (also seen on the screenshot). The widget is easy to mod (I changed some stuff the last time I used it, don't remember what but I do remember it was easy), so it can be probably tweaked to show embeded as well.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 02:40:20 AM »
The files I tried usually only have embedded artwork (they're mainly podcasts) so I might need to re-check what's going on with the ones that worked (as I did look for image files in the folder & there weren't any).

As I would have thought getting the embedded would work due to the rest of the skin engine being but looking at the code for the widget, it only seems to be looking for physical image files (based on what readImages() looks to me).

Either way, I know what I need to do for a skin independent solution :)

-dro

Benco

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 12:51:43 AM »
Hi DrO,

do you think the solution you have in mind could be incorporated in single window modern skins too ? I mean, without having a specific window for it ?

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 03:16:43 AM »
What I'm thinking would be done as part of the album art plug-in which works in all skins but as it's own window. Having that window integrated into a modern skin would then require skin modifications (though some modern skins may automatically do it as a tab within the skin - which may be fine for you). Though I think like I've mentioned before, artwork within Winamp/WACUP just needs a complete overhaul in how it can be accessed (but I don't think it'll be part of WACUP v1.0).

-dro

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 03:43:29 AM »

-dro

From time to time, the Windows OS uses the Windows Media Player to create hidden folder.jpg and albumartsmall.jpg files in various music file folders. Often additional hidden images with other names are also created. Enable the folder viewing option to show hidden system files in Windows Explorer, you may be surprised by what you find. This has been discussed in the Winamp forums and nobody knows what triggers the OS to do this.

When it happens to me, I just delete these hidden images. Sometimes they come back after awhile, so I routinely check for them from time to time.
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 04:19:46 AM »
I have hidden / system files enabled as one of the first things when I make a windows install :)

That's why I was confused but what the cpro widget is showing for me for some of my files as there aren't any of those files within the folders (which I also checked via the alt+3 dialog & what the albumart service reports back on what it was able to find as the origin of the source). Though I didn't dig much into the widget's source code to what & where it is actually looking for things (the quick look showed it's not using the albumart service).

-dro

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 07:04:53 PM »
I have hidden / system files enabled as one of the first things when I make a windows install :)

Seeing the system files on the desktop is distracting for me, so I normally keep that option disabled.  ;)

The additional image files I discover from time to time in my music folders are different resolutions of the same images. When you get the time to explore the widget further, it would be good to know where it is finding these folder.jpg and albumartsmall.jpg files.

Windows annoying habit of randomly overwriting folder.jpg files is 1 of the reasons why I stopped using them in Winamp and started using embedded images for all of my music files that I play with Winamp/WACUP. At some point down the road, it would be great to be able to embed more than 1 image per file and be able to cycle thru them.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:13:02 PM by Aminifu »
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system