Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Comments on Winamp's DNAS 2.5.5 thread being moderated  (Read 11336 times)

WowMachine

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Comments on Winamp's DNAS 2.5.5 thread being moderated
« on: October 11, 2017, 06:08:56 PM »
Well, a first for me in a long time... I just wrote up my experiences over the last couple of days with the latest dnas update and when I submited, I was met with the same screen I got on my first posts.... 'thank you for your comment.... it will be posted as soon as a moderator approves it'.

Wow. I guess someone's getting a little sensitive to all the anger they've been getting with their shoutcast servers cutting in and out and their last DNAS update before the other day being a dud. My problem with the latest was exactly the same as the last one.... the source disconnects from the DNAS on every single track and would give a log entry on the changing bitrate. Even more frustratingly, it was only  happening when people were actually listening to the stream.

I still have such sentimental attachment to winamp/shoutcast that I've been tolerating the extra babysitting my streaming station has required, but gosh, I really miss as recently as a year ago when both could run unattended for days without freezes, crashes, or DSP irregularities creeping up.

Oh well... just wanted to rant someplace and didn't feel like I could anywhere on the winamp forum.

victhor

• View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
Re: Comments on Winamp's DNAS 2.5.5 thread being moderated
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 07:38:40 PM »
Well, I've just "approved" your posts. I'm not sure about how much intention there is on this matter, it would actually be.. sort of a nice thing if they would care enough about people not talking bad about their product, but seems like it's even worst and they don't even care;
Actually... the spam system got kind of broken some time ago and on random posts from some users are being caught as "spam" without really being it. PeterK's inoffensive posts here (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=396464) are one example, he's getting very annoyed about this, as you can imagine. There, 3 out of 5 posts from him get caught as spam. I know because he PM's me everytime it happens.

So, other than not wanting to see "their" brand / domain names on other sites (like DrO can attest to..), they seem to be pretty careless about what people say over the internet..
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:39:28 PM by victhor »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 07:45:14 PM »
WowMachine: I think you're more than entitled to give feedback (positive & negative) on something you're using from them if it's not working right for your needs vs what has been advertised especially if you're earning them money from allowing adverts to be run on the stream for listeners (which imho the broadcasters should get a much bigger cut but c'est la vie that's not the way they went).

Tbh I think it's a real shame to see how it's going down the pan, doing things that I told them directly that users will not like (e.g. forced account sign-up to download the tools being one). The stability of their streaming service wasn't great when I was involved and they knew they needed to bring in a north american source point for the service as the latency for american broadcasters is not acceptable (at least under AOL and the stream hosting there was distributed over multiple locations). Plus a SHOUTcast streaming system that is almost all Icecast based is just giving a no confidence in the platform. Don't get me going on how they keep 'dead' streams always going (i.e. you always hear something even if it's not the correct station).

I'm just more saddened that they've blocked my RMO account from getting the DNAS downloads page (not that it's hard to find them if needed) and that they took almost 2 months to 'fix' the recent windows builds (putting the 2.5.1 build out as 2.5.5 is a school boy error) but even still are shipping older versions of the shared libraries / files that some have known CVEs against them. It really makes you wonder what's going on over there as the things seen aren't what I'd expect from the other dev who was also working on the DNAS when I was involved.

-dro

WowMachine

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 07:46:31 PM »
Spam system is what I figured at first, but I'd just commented on other threads without problem. Thanks for approving it for me.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 08:03:31 PM »
Actually... the spam system got kind of broken some time ago and on random posts from some users are being caught as "spam" without really being it. PeterK's inoffensive posts here (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=396464) are one example, he's getting very annoyed about this, as you can imagine. There, 3 out of 5 posts from him get caught as spam. I know because he PM's me everytime it happens.
The spam system has been broken for years but the way to fix it involves $$$ and they don't want to do that. Using such an old VBB install (and the customisations it has) makes a migration tricky (was looked into a while before things started in motion towards the sale) but it could be done if it was really wanted. At times I get the impression they're happy to see the spam just so it makes the forum look more active than it really is (not a dig at the independent mods as the stuff that gets through just shouldn't to begin with if using current spam blocking methods).

I'm fully understanding Peter being annoyed about most of his posts being blocked as I've seen such things put off legitimate people when you can see blatant spam that gets through without issue.

So, other than not wanting to see "their" brand / domain names on other sites (like DrO can attest to..), they seem to be pretty careless about what people say over the internet..
They've gone after others but that was more about the SHOUTcast side of things (including some who had signed up as official partners with them which was ironic, heh).

Them going after me was to be somewhat expected though the timing was shit (for me, great for them) with what was going on personally at the time. The stress of the situation was not good for me (which I believe was their aim) or my better half with the stress related illness that she was suffering from at the time which I now believe their actions partially affected the recovery off due to her stressing about me stressing about things. That's what the part "at what is a most inconvenient and stress inducing time of the year (to myself and my family)" on the old site related to. I've not really talked about it publically before but there were those aware of things going on & they will always have my eternal thanks for their help at that time.

-dro
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:04:42 PM by dro »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 08:11:25 PM »
Spam system is what I figured at first, but I'd just commented on other threads without problem.
That would make anyone think they're being censored when it's ok in other threads.

Either way, you're always welcome to have a rant, etc on here :)

-dro

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 09:57:44 AM »
 StopForumSpam may be of help. Not only do they have a module for this site,
Simple Machines
https://www.stopforumspam.com/mods#link_smf
someone also made a module for the older vBulletin.
vBulletin 3.6/3.8 Legacy module
https://www.stopforumspam.com/mods#link_vb
Oh and yes it is free.
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »
I've already got things setup on here for spam handling (was one of the main reasons I went with SMF as I knew there were working solutions). Touch wood I've not had any issues yet (though I think there's a fair number of dubious accounts that have been created but haven't posted anything spammy).

Iirc the VBB module (and a few other things) was pointed out years ago but there wasn't interest / resources to make use of such things (cheaper to just have people waste their time cleaning things up rather than preventing the issue). That's the big thing I don't miss about not being involved with that forum anymore is having to clean up the spam (especially from the posts that do it as hidden links & try to be 'normal' replies). Wasted so much of my time (and also the time of the un-paid moderators) cleaning that crap up when it could have been better spent on coding things for Winamp at the time *shrugs*

-dro

ariszlo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 01:17:38 PM »
I was met with the same screen I got on my first posts.... 'thank you for your comment.... it will be posted as soon as a moderator approves it'.

That happens to me most of the time when I add a new post to my Top 20 most downloaded Classic/Modern/cPro skins threads. Two days ago I posted to all three threads: the Skin Consortium Classic skins post was accepted immediately, Skin Consortium top 21 cPro skins was delayed a day but my Skin Consortium top 21 Modern skins post still has not been posted yet. :(

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 09:11:31 PM »
Just remember it's nothing personal to you ;) What you're seeing is what it was like when I was involved but I guess they've made it more aggressive which only seems to hurt those still trying to be active *shrugs*

-dro

ariszlo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 07:44:49 AM »
No, I'm not taking it personally. Actually, my case is not as unjust as yours because the posts in this thread contain way too many links to be suspicious.

ariszlo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 12:55:48 PM »
Resubmitted it and now it got posted within a couple of hours. :)

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 01:04:29 PM »
With your posting history you really shouldn't be being blocked is the point I'm trying to make. As all of the measures on that forum were meant to prevent the dedicated spam accounts getting over the minimum limit before posting links is allowed (which amongst other things penalises those who legitimately need to provide links to something related to support issues, etc). They know what needs to be done to fix things but they don't want to do it other than changing the banner adverts & some css styling to accommodate them (i.e. they must still be making enough 'free' money).

-dro