Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Play/Open Folder Issue  (Read 4819 times)

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
  • ... (-(-_(-_-)_-)-) ...
    • View Profile
Play/Open Folder Issue
« on: December 30, 2020, 01:20:12 AM »
OS=Windows 10 v.20H2

I was sure I had posted this issue but had no luck with my searches

At times I play random files in a folder. I navigate wacup to play/open a file, the Open File(s) ui appears (att. image) and I select a track. After the track finishes I navigate wacup again to play/open file and the same file location appears in the ui. It thinks I want to play a track in the same folder, so it is in memory somewhere. This is logical and desired. If I recall correctly, winamp saved the locations from session to session. Another logical and desired attribute. Wacup has maintained this same 'file' behavior.

At times I play random folders. The play/open file 'behavior' is not present with play/open folder. The play/open ui always reverts back to a 'root' location (see images). This is very annoying.

Also, please note as perhaps the following may be helpful in some way. Notice the different appearance of the 'open' dialogs. The open file shows and conforms to the dark theme windows option I have set my system to. The open folder appearance does not.

Can this be 'elevated' to the next release? If not can a work-around be produced. A patch or editing/hacking of a dll or the like? Anything ... -thank you
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 01:21:36 AM by MourningStar »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Play/Open Folder Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 01:26:54 AM »
Remembering the last folder was fixed with build 6800 (based on a crash report I saw within the last hour it seems you're still using build 5864) so updating to that would be the fix (though 6800 is soon to be replaced hopefully tomorrow). Its also easily missed in the almost 300 line changelog between those 2 builds.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 01:37:03 AM »
that's great news. yes I was on the July release. usually the app tells me when an update is available. I went and searched for a 'check for updates' to confirm but could not find one. I will post a new issue (and serious to me) now and if it is an issue and not just me and a simple fix perhaps it can be included with tomorrow's release.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 01:43:12 AM »
I've not set the update flag to notify of build 6800 to the older preview builds so I could catch any obvious issues before a fixed build is then set to the auto-updater. This is what I normally do however the UI to notifying there's a build present but not automatically download it isn't something that 5864 (or earlier) will do & so the 68xx build I'm finishing off will be able to do that going forward whilst everything prior to 6800 will just download it (if enabled) & hence me waiting to get the most obvious crash issues resolved prior to doing that.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 01:50:35 AM »
ok - perhaps I learned of the July build thru your old site's scrolling 'marquee',

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 07:13:09 PM »
UPDATE : I have installed and now use 6800. This works and recalls last folder location. However, it does not retain this if I shut off the computer, which I do daily.

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 07:51:27 PM »
UPDATE 2 : just checked - Folder location not retained if app is exited and restarted.

edit : fwiw, not a showstopper, just an fyi. Just  tell me and I will no longer post non-show stopping trivialities
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 08:04:12 PM by MourningStar »

Mits

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 03:58:45 PM »
Dear Morningstar, I was trying to understand your problem and specifically what you mean by "playing random files in a folder" - how do you actually randomize them, and for what purpose?

And most importantly, but very OOT, from your screenshots I understand that you keep your music in the default "This PC" locations (in C:\Users\<yourusername>), which is IMHO very bad practice. When running Win10, all user files in default user locations (Documents, Music, Pictures etc) should be considered as at risk and potentially expandable if a Windows Update goes wrong. Thousands of such cases have been reported and more people are still searching and/or mourning for their files. The best practice is to reorganise your folders so that your personal files are outside C:\Users .

This is one of the main reasons I'm staying away from Win10 for the foreseeable future (a few more years by god's will) and I also advise so my dearest friends. As I said, very OOT but critical for our mental health :-)

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 05:58:22 PM »
Dear Morningstar, I was trying to understand your problem and specifically what you mean by "playing random files in a folder" - how do you actually randomize them, and for what purpose?

And most importantly, but very OOT, from your screenshots I understand that you keep your music in the default "This PC" locations (in C:\Users\<yourusername>), which is IMHO very bad practice. When running Win10, all user files in default user locations (Documents, Music, Pictures etc) should be considered as at risk and potentially expandable if a Windows Update goes wrong. Thousands of such cases have been reported and more people are still searching and/or mourning for their files. The best practice is to reorganise your folders so that your personal files are outside C:\Users .

This is one of the main reasons I'm staying away from Win10 for the foreseeable future (a few more years by god's will) and I also advise so my dearest friends. As I said, very OOT but critical for our mental health :-)
Your knowledge of "This PC" needs additional information.  The path displayed in the screen captures do not reveal a 'hard' path. I can only conclude that Windows 10-phobias are due to a user's limited knowledge. I recently migrated to W10. I made the declaration long ago that I would remain a W7 user until my PC (born in 2009) went to pc-heaven, which it did last Nov.'19. Bought this new machine that came with W10, stumbled and fumbled my way around, and with excellent help from the tenforums people have determined that I should have 'transitioned' to W10 long ago.

your mileage may vary  :P

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 07:39:24 PM »
UPDATE 2 : just checked - Folder location not retained if app is exited and restarted.

edit : fwiw, not a showstopper, just an fyi. Just  tell me and I will no longer post non-show stopping trivialities

I use the open file dialog instead of the open folder, but I (for one) don't think this is a trivial issue. The fix in build 6800 was incomplete, imo. The selected folder location should be retained between sessions.

Unlike consistent skinning of dialogs, this should be a simple fix.
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 10:25:28 PM »
I use the open file dialog instead of the open folder, but I (for one) don't think this is a trivial issue. The fix in build 6800 was incomplete, imo. The selected folder location should be retained between sessions.
Agreed. FWIW, and because of this, I also use the open file dialog and select the entire folder contents. However, I frequently have need of multi-folder playback.

Unlike consistent skinning of dialogs, this should be a simple fix.
It may or may not. I do not have the skill-level to even make such a remark. thank you for understanding and providing input.

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 03:21:49 AM »
There is an entry in the winamp.ini file called "cwd=". Winamp uses this entry to save the name of the last folder used by any dialog that used a file in the folder. This folder name is then used (in the same session and between sessions) as the default starting point for any dialog that pointed to a folder. The winamp.ini file used by WACUP also contains this entry and seems to use it the same way.

What I'm calling a simple fix would be to use a separate entry for each dialog that points to a folder to save the name of the last folder used by each dialog.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 03:27:28 AM by Aminifu »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2021, 05:31:34 AM »
It's meant to use the same folder between things but I've yet to look into this again as my testing at the time had shown it was seemingly working as expected including between sessions once I'd started making use of the config option again.

As the initial reason for the bug report was down to me just not having anything in place for doing the get/set to remember it between calls either directly or via callback hooks depending on the OS method having to be used (i.e. open/save dialogs are handled completely differently to the add/open folders dialog).

Though it also depends on what action is being used as especially with 3rd party plug-ins & some of my own, they may not be making use of the common api to get/set the last location. Anyhoo, not sure how this thread has had so much input into it when I've not moved it to the top of my bugs to look into since 6840.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2021, 09:33:57 PM »
Anyhoo, not sure how this thread has had so much input into it ...
yeah, it is a mystery - :o

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 12:53:45 AM »

Though it also depends on what action is being used as especially with 3rd party plug-ins & some of my own, they may not be making use of the common api to get/set the last location. Anyhoo, not sure how this thread has had so much input into it when I've not moved it to the top of my bugs to look into since 6840.

-dro

Aha, as usual there is almost nothing that's simple with Winamp/WACUP. :)

As for inputs, I browse this website almost every day and like to read all posts flagged as new and comment if I have something to say. FYI, sometimes posts retain the new flag even after I've read them. It also seems that some posts get flagged as new a few days after they are first posted (but it is possible in this case that I just missed seeing them when browsing).