Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18798 (April 7th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: An option to enable skin support/old functionionality to the buttons.  (Read 2560 times)

I-WA-CUP

• View Profile
i have attached an image, the image on the left is the WACUP system and the image on the right is the old/regular winamp system.

Thanks.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
It's not going to happen as those fake skinned menus that Winamp implemented are not accessibility friendly & as part of keeping things consistent between modern & classic style skins, what I'm doing imho is a better fit. I know some don't like it but it's a choice I'm sticking to.

-dro
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 06:33:50 PM by dro »

I-WA-CUP

• View Profile
Dang, allright, looks like I'm sticking with the original for now then, thank you for your hasty reply!

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Can you please explain why you prefer the winamp style of menu? As no one has really given me a reason that I can understand to make it worthwhile considering trying to reimplement that form of the menu.

-dro

I-WA-CUP

• View Profile
it's skinned and it allows you to double click the button in order to do common actions, like double click select to select all, and double click remove to remove selected, double clicking file allows you to add a file, and double clicking list allows you to quickly load a playlist. I have attached another image.
In WACUP it's not obvious that you can double click, and the new menu does not support skins.
I am aware that you can, double click, it just does not feel as responsive/nice, at least to me.
I just think it should be toggle able as opposed to unchangeable.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 07:32:21 PM by I-WA-CUP »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'd have to say it was also never obvious that you can double-click them in winamp nor that you can right-click them to get at all of the extra features which using native OS menus do make it more obvious as to what is available on them including the keyboard shortcuts.

When it comes to the skinning, I would disagree & say that what I'm offering is skinned & is a more consistent fit with all other menus. What winamp did for that window & it's menus would very likely not have been done a few years later & is why modern skins don't even do it.

I will agree that what the preview build does is not as snappy in a direct comparison with the double-click action but it's not that much slower. Also it needs to be made more obvious that shift/control+double-click will also do other actions but it's how/where to indicate that which is the issue (suggestions welcome) other than making the tooltip text for those buttons be wordy (e.g. <action text> + right-click or double-click also works)

I just think it should be toggle able as opposed to unchangeable.
If I were to do it, it's going to be towards the bottom of a long list of other things that need to be done including getting a new preview build out & not having WACUP need to rely on the Winamp core to run for certain remaining features.

So if it's something which is important to how you do things then WACUP likely is not the right option for you & that's fine.

-dro