Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Update WACUP  (Read 4398 times)

Stalker61

• View Profile
Update WACUP
« on: December 24, 2021, 01:38:04 PM »
Boss will there be an update this year? ::)

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Update WACUP
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 02:33:23 PM »
There's been plenty of updates this year with the betas but I'm not doing a new preview build as it doesn't have everything that's needed to replace the existing preview build & not cause a load of complaints that it doesn't have things that the preview did (e.g. completely broken command-line handling & no artwork within the local library views). Making my own Winamp is hard at times.

-dro

Stalker61

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 01:21:01 PM »
boss, I'm already using the preview version, but it's been almost a year since the update hasn't come, I was wondering if wacup is dead, the currently shared preview version is very useful actually, but there are some crashes, and every time I open wacup, the songs in the playlist repeat the previous shuffle list every time I open it That's why I have to re-add folders at every boot. Thanks.

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 05:54:45 PM »
WACUP isn't dead, it just takes a considerably long time for the betas to become stable enough and then see if the plans align to then have a preview out

As fate would have it, the preview build takes a little while longer to be considered in a state where it's good enough for everyone else

Stating WACUP is dead is nonsense, the top section of the page is always up to date with the latest beta build number
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 09:05:09 PM »
It's only been 286 days (or ~41weeks or just over 9months) between the current preview build & the most recent beta build. As I've already tried to explain, previews are just beta builds that I'm happy for more people to use & that's not been something which has been the case.

I get that people want a new preview build & don't trust beta builds even though previews are betas & based on another direct email complaint I got about this few days ago that maybe I should just call the preview a beta & betas as alphas (since that is closer to the reality of things).

but there are some crashes, and every time I open wacup, the songs in the playlist repeat the previous shuffle list every time I open it That's why I have to re-add folders at every boot.
This is the first that I'm aware of you noting having such issues (unless you've used a different handle / non-forum option to convey it) so maybe it would be better for you to try out the beta...

-dro
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 09:06:23 PM by dro »

Stalker61

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 10:21:12 AM »
calm down guys, i've been using winamp for about 20 years as a winamp lover. Since I know how hard this job is, my aim is to use wacupi for free and not be ungrateful.
di, just wanted to point out that it's been a long time and that's all, just wanted to point out an issue I've encountered, thanks. :-X

also sorry for my bad english:)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 10:23:03 AM by Stalker61 »

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
  • ... (-(-_(-_-)_-)-) ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 06:24:51 PM »
... previews are just beta builds that I'm happy for more people to use  ...
So, where can I download a beta so I can be a 'happy people'?

NJK

• Elderly radio jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2021, 07:08:25 AM »
Latest WACUP beta release is build #9630 (December 22nd 2021) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #7236 (March 11th 2021)

top of the forum when you login

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2021, 06:02:27 PM »
... top of the forum when you login
cliking on link "(December 22nd 2021) takes me to page with no download button. After some navigating around, I believe only registered beta testers can download it. If I am incorrect let me know how ...

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2021, 06:17:34 PM »
No, you're correct.
Only beta testers get access to the beta builds (for obvious reasons), that's also why you can click on the preview build number and not the beta one
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2021, 06:46:56 PM »
No, you're correct.
Only beta testers get access to the beta builds (for obvious reasons), ...
The reasons are not 'obvious' to me. Enlighten me please.

A long time ago I was a beta-tester. My usage of the betas, founded on my needs, revealed no significant issues. I therefore withdrew as I was not contributing to the trouble-analysis efforts. I regret this now as I no longer have access to the improvements provided by the betas.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2021, 12:24:37 AM »
beta = intentionally restricted because it will have issues (often critical)
preview = snapshot that has non-critical issues that are generally ok & released when I'm happy with it.

and because it's restricted people have FOMO & want it rather than actually helping to give feedback when there's issues (or even worse, spread the builds around when the point is they're not ready for general usage because of the issues but some people dgaf & that just wastes my time & tbqh, I'm fed up of that).

-dro
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 12:32:13 AM by dro »

NJK

• Elderly radio jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2021, 06:16:39 PM »
or even worse, spread the builds around when the point is they're not ready for general usage because of the issues

So , a member gets the opportunity to help you out by testing Wacup but instead of helping out they give the beta to others.....

Something tells me that those don't understand what it is to be a beta tester..

i'm a tester for equipment , i work for an ISP and a new modem or STB for digital tv needs to be tested , friendly user test as they call it but i have to sign for not giving the equipment to others , using it only at home next to my own equipment and promise that i won't publish the results in public places or on social media.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2022, 04:02:55 PM »
People do crappy things for numerous reasons even if it's at odds with valid reasons for limiting access but it's all about FOMO or just being a c**t.

-dro