Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18916 (April 18th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18916 (April 18th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Wackup Won't Start or Delayed Start, My fault...  (Read 1559 times)

MRakestraw

• music addict
    • View Profile
Wackup Won't Start or Delayed Start, My fault...
« on: April 09, 2021, 06:05:10 PM »
I dragged a folder with my entire music collection in it to the playlist editor, it took a few hours to load, then I sent it to a playlist, primarily to get a report of the number of items & duration as I am editing the collecting and wanted to see the progress since the last edit.
Somewhere along the line I closed and re-started Wacup with the playlist still loaded...
a) Wacup would not re-start, I did not see it in the task manager and I did not scroll down to the background tasks to see that multiple instances of Wacup was actually running.
b) I searched the forum and started performing troubleshooting tips on the "Wackup Won't Start" Thread.
c) I attempted to re-install but received error messages because the files that needed to be written were open or in use.
d) I finally performed a clean install and lost ALL my customization, playlists & some internet radio stations that were bookmarked.
e) After Wacup was re-installed I did it again (dragged my entire music collection in it to the playlist editor), after it loaded I closed Wacup, then re-started Wacup and walked away, 3 hours later I checked and Wacup was up and running so I assume the large playlist caused the problem.

The playlist I created was impractical and maybe their is a better way to do what I did but I'm posting this comedy of errors as I have found that if I did this eventually someone else will do it. Not sure how easy it would be to put a "stupid" error message for this type of action, Wacup would have to have some way to evaluate the folder attributes and show a warning message.

Anyway Dont Do This!
Music Addict

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Wackup Won't Start or Delayed Start, My fault...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 06:19:39 PM »
There's already changes for the next build that should massively reduce the overheads when loading in a playlist (especially large ones) which I suspect was the reason for a number of the issues you've noted. Though maybe 180k entries is a bit extreme but I think the next build should better accommodate such scenarios :)

As for loss of settings, the folder gets sent to the recycle bin when using WACUP's uninstaller (unless it was a purely portable install & then it depends on how that was done) so you might be able to get back the bookmarks from the winamp.bm8 file.

-dro
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 06:20:31 PM by dro »