Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Flac Support over Icecast  (Read 6091 times)

GreenViper8

• View Profile
    • RadioSEGA
Flac Support over Icecast
« on: June 03, 2019, 09:28:08 AM »
Hey guys,

I've loved Winamp for years and have used it daily for hours on end and was incredibly glad to see this community driven update, and I was hoping it would fix one of the program's largest flaws in my opinion.

Recently, my Icecast station has flicked the switch to allow listeners to tune into a FLAC stream, something which isn't supported at all through the original Winamp or this update. Previously when we allowed OGG Vorbis, we ran into the same problem, which we fixed by adding a file extension to the end of the mountpoint name, but the same does not work here leading me to believe that FLAC is completely unsupported. It's because of this that I've had to for now *gasp* switch over to the dark side, but if you guys could impliment this, I'd love to be back on WACUP ASAP.

Thanks,
Viper

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Flac Support over Icecast
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 01:18:12 PM »
Winamp/WACUP's streaming support is one of the bigger tasks that still needs re-working especially to aid in not having to manually add extensions to the urls to get the correct input plug-in to work. Without doing that, it's generally the mp3 input plug-in which gets the stream which doesn't then hand it off to the ogg vorbis plug-in when it came to the other stream you mentioned.

So for an Icecast + FLAC stream to work, I need to add support for Ogg+FLAC streams which I'm still debating how best I want to do it since there's also Opus which uses the Ogg container & making one plug-in (or a mini service) that can deal with all 3 would make life much easier going forward (along with boosting the out of the box support that WACUP could offer).

Its already something that's been on my todo list but as Ogg+FLAC streams aren't all that common I've not bumped it up the todo list but will see what happens over the next few months.

-dro
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 01:26:21 PM by dro »

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
  • ... (-(-_(-_-)_-)-) ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 05:38:22 PM »
$hit dro! you do have a lot on your plate. Are you the sole developer? Have you considered handing off any tasks to others? Great work you're doing so far.

-thank you

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 05:11:56 AM »
This is indeed a labour of love by 1 man (and a team of Llamas that make lots of noise and keep interrupting him).
You can show you gratitude by not sending him hats and gloves made from Llama wool.
Instead send him money and get everyone you know to upvote WACUP on alternativeto.net
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 08:44:35 PM »
MourningStar: I've never kept it secret that it's predominantly just myself working on WACUP though others have contributed (largely in some cases) from providing existing plug-ins to be integrated through to whole new skins & general motivation / testing / kicks up the arse from time to time.

The vast majority of media players out there are typically developed & maintained by at most a handful of people so its nothing abnormal in that regards though it essentially being my job probably is but that's a whole different can of worms.

And https://alternativeto.net/software/wacup/ is what Dr.Flay is referring to :)

-dro
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 08:46:01 PM by dro »