Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Window resize problem with dual-monitor setup  (Read 6795 times)

phx76

• View Profile
Window resize problem with dual-monitor setup
« on: February 29, 2020, 08:50:59 PM »
I've been using a dual-monitor setup with the primary display set to 2560x1440 resolution, the secondary one to 1200x1600 (i.e. 1600x1200 display set to portrait mode) and running WACUP w/ Big Bento Modern Windows 10 skin on the secondary display.

The problem I have is that WACUP is unable to automatically resize its window size to 1200x1600 resolution, it can only reach 1200x1440 for some reason. I'm able to temporarily get it resized to 1200x1600 when I adjust Window Settings -> Scaling to e.g. 125% and then shrink it back to 100% again. After restarting the application the vertical screen limit is however always immediately re-set to match the vertical resolution of the primary display and the WACUP windows size gets again shrunk to 1200x1440. Is there known workaround allowing me to retain the 1200x1600 window size after WACUP restart? Thanks in advance!

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Window resize problem with dual-monitor setup
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 10:21:56 PM »
What WACUP build are you using?

-dro

phx76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 10:01:40 AM »
What WACUP build are you using?

It's the most recent one publicly available - 1.0.9.5118 from Feb 28 2020.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 01:06:58 AM »
Have you by any chance been experiencing crashes on closing?

-dro

phx76

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 10:06:42 AM »
Have you by any chance been experiencing crashes on closing?

No, I have experienced no crashes of that kind. If I remember correctly, the only crash of the recent version of WACUP happened for me while running the initial indexing of my >100GB music library.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 04:36:29 PM »
Ok, that rules out that possible idea. Another thought, are you running any software that might relate to the monitor that does zoning or any other related handling? Also are they aligned side-by-side in the monitor preferences or one above each other or any other type of alignment ?

My LG has something like that & it was causing some weirdness when I tried it out briefly (it caused WACUP & other software to take a lot longer to load & just felt sluggish so I dropped it but the window splitting thing was otherwise potentially useful).

Otherwise I'm going to have to see what I can replicate by trying out the specific resolutions as I'm not seeing it myself at the moment with 4K (main) & 1080p (secondary).

-dro

phx76

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 07:34:40 PM »
Another thought, are you running any software that might relate to the monitor that does zoning or any other related handling? Also are they aligned side-by-side in the monitor preferences or one above each other or any other type of alignment ?

No, I don't use any kind of desktop layout modification software, just a regular nVidia drivers. See attached screenshot - it shows both my desktop layout setup and the offset WACUP window.

Possible hint 1: You can see that I use negative vertical offset of the secondary/WACUP display by default (it's offset by -160 points vertically). If I change the offset in the nVidia control panel to +160 points while WACUP is running, WACUP window can be suddently expanded to the full 1200x1600 resolution. However once I restart WACUP, its window gets shrunk to 1200x1440 again. Or more precisely, immediately after WACUP restarts, it's window appears to be expanded to the correct resolution of 1200x1600 for a split second, but shrinks almost immediately to 1200x1440. I can duplicate exactly the same behavior going from the possitive offset to negative one. As I mentioned before, similiar temporary workaround effect can be achieved when I adjust Window Settings -> Scaling to e.g. 125% and then shrink it back to 100% again.

Possible hint 2: Winamp v5.8 Build 3660 does not exhibit this problem. It goes straight to 1200x1600 every time.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 07:50:11 PM »
That makes more sense of things especially the offset matching to the difference seen.

I'm sure I'd attempted to fix such things when I was working on the post 5.666 release before that went sour but had assumed that it had all been thrown away (note: I refuse on principal to run that beta).

I'll need to do some digging into what I can patch with the 5.666 compile of gen_ff being used to get it working correctly (was something to do with the wrong rectangle being used in an API response but I can't be sure since that's from 6 years back).

-dro

phx76

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 08:30:15 PM »
I'll need to do some digging into what I can patch with the 5.666 compile of gen_ff being used to get it working correctly...

Hold on please - unless I misunderstood your intention to revisit the original 5.666 code - there's nothing wrong with the 5.666, it has always worked flawlessly for me in this aspect, hence I consider this to be a WACUP specific problem. To confirm that statement, I've just got rid of the 5.8 instance and replaced it with the 5.666 version and the Winamp window got immediately resized to the correct 1200x1600 size.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 09:19:16 PM »
I don't have the 5.666 code, I only have the pre-compiled gen_ff dll to work against that came from that installer (i.e. I can try replacing it's code via patching). So if anything things should work the same as 5.666 since I'm not directly doing anything to alter the modern skin engine behaviour.

Maybe a compatibility mode is being applied or there's some other weird interaction going on but I also don't know if it's something I can replicate. One other thing to do would be to remove the studio.xnf file within the WACUP settings folder whilst WACUP isn't running & see if that behaves or not (is the equivalent of an uninstall without loosing other settings).

-dro

phx76

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 09:28:31 PM »
One other thing to do would be to remove the studio.xnf file within the WACUP settings folder whilst WACUP isn't running & see if that behaves or not (is the equivalent of an uninstall without loosing other settings).

I've already tried both before opening this topic here on the forum - removing the studio.xnf and performing clean WACUP reinstall - neither helped.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 09:34:38 PM »
Ok, well hopefully I can replicate it & sort out something. Build 5144 is just being uploaded though I doubt it'll help with this issue.

-dro

phx76

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 01:06:11 PM »
Hello, just a kind reminder. Have you been able to duplicate my earlier findings related to the dual-monitor setup and/or have you even managed to pinpoint the rootcause of the issue? On my setup I'm still getting the same WACUP window resize problem with the latest Preview build 1.0.13.5864.

I also recently noticed yet another scenario when WACUP window resizes correctly to the full-screen size - and that's when the computer gets woken up from the sleep (not sure though if it applies to all power saving states or only to "deeper sleep" ones).

Thanks in advance!

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 05:53:11 PM »
I've moved this higher up my todo list so hopefully will be able to get around to during the coming month.

-dro