Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18798 (April 7th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: WACUP ChipTune Edition  (Read 10748 times)

carlos

• View Profile
WACUP ChipTune Edition
« on: February 23, 2018, 06:04:48 PM »
WinAmp was used as a chiptune player in the old times, because its plugins interface characteristics, and with this, much chiptune plugins have been written for WinAmp along the years.

I think would be a nice idea have one version of WACUP with all major plugins for play chiptune, properly configured and updated.

there has ChipAmp a bundle of plugins, but it's without any update for a time, and have a just download and install package will be more convenient.

I prefer play chiptune with WinAmp because, I can play all different systems in one player, rather than differents players for each system, and some WinAmp plugins have more quality.

http://chipamp.org/
http://ocremix.org/community/topic/45475-chipamp-update/

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: WACUP ChipTune Edition
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 11:55:38 PM »
chipamp is one of the plug-in packs I've been long aware off and has been in my thoughts even before I started on WACUP as the video game music is where a lot of passionate users were & although that's dwindled, it'd be nice to keep that side of Winamp alive as part of what WACUP tries to offer going forward.

Going for including everything that's present in chipamp as-is isn't something I'm keen on doing but I'm open to including the more common ones & have done some work on either looking to make WACUP versions of the plug-ins (e.g. vgmstream though I need to re-sync to what's gone on in the last year) or just see what is out there (e.g. in_vgm).

Though the idea of a chipampesque build of WACUP is interesting though as a lt of those older plug-ins don't take up much space, it could just make sense to provide them in all instances.

What I am interested in (& is good that you've made a thread) is what plug-ins people think should be included & / or used either from chipamp or good modified versions of those plug-ins or anything else that (specifically aimed at video game music playback). As from a quick scan of the thread, openmpt is used by WACUP so that's one not needing to be suggested :)

-dro

carlos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 02:12:29 PM »
"As from a quick scan of the thread, openmpt is used by WACUP so that's one not needing to be suggested :)"

Yes I saw this, and also liked, because I prefer libopenmpt instance others mod libraries.

My first idea was to provid two separeted installers for WACUP, but after your comment I realize because the little size, it can be in all installers.

I also think, not all users will be interested for those plugins, in the way at the install process there should have one option for install those chiptune plugins, this is more profissional in my opinion.

great your interest on those plugins. :p

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 12:00:11 AM »
I'm not ruling out various installers though it depends on the end resulting size vs what people's hopeful feedback is about things (mainly because the WACUP installer as of this post is between ~6 to 7MB depending upon the build which isn't that big compared to current software install sizes e.g. plexamp is ~44MB). For the moment I think it might be simpler to just have one installer & it's down to the user to decide on what's installed (though it's not hard to remove / disable things in Winamp and WACUP as needed - WACUP will be easier to do that compared to what Winamp allows).

When it comes to installing, the attached screenshot is the sort of thing that is presented. So I could (or should) make a sub-group for VGM specific formats under the 'audio playback' node to make it easier to a) select / de-select them in one go but also make it clearer what the formats relate to. Potentially that should be done anyway with what's currently provided (though there's other parts of what's shown on that selection page which I think needs to be re-worked on the ordering as some of the groups are just too big e.g. UI extensions).

-dro

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 03:01:31 AM »
What was brought up earlier in this thread came to mind tonight whilst starting on adding in another VGM based input plug-in (specifically for NSF/NSFE support) & with things that have happened since my last post there is now a 'VGM' sub-section in the installer (due to more plug-ins being added) but I also had a look at the impact off not having these plug-ins included as part of the installer.

As-is, it's 0.72MB saving (6.42 - 5.7) on the installer size & 2.9MB (34.1 - 31.2) saving on the installed size on disk. Now it's simple enough to build different installers but as I'd questioned before, is that saving deemed worthwhile doing when the likes of plexamp are deemed 'light-weight' ?

-dro

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 05:28:35 AM »
Include all of the plugins in the installer and let the user choose what to install.
I think that we are beyond the days where having the smallest possible installer matters.
Compared to ANY other program that you can download, no one is going to blink (or care) about a .72MB increase.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 10:31:44 PM »
aye, is me over thinking things again. at least for the 'click next' brigade it'll be easier in the delayed build to disable without uninstall / re-install so that might alleviate those issues.

-dro

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 06:21:40 AM »
I am thinking that MIDI should also be included in the CVG option.

Some retro classic skins would be suitable, though would obviously need tweaks.
I used to use some Amiga style skins (I should still have them) and a skin I ported from an Amiga player that supports Winamp skins, based on the main skin (an Amiga boing ball for a logo instead of the flash).
Hehe, meta
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 04:45:58 PM »
From the screenshot a bit up, MIDI is being grouped under the VGM side of things going forward ;)

-dro