Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #19100 (May 10th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #19100 (May 10th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Winamp Classic skins as GUI for a retro stylised operating system  (Read 1360 times)

dawnmachine

• View Profile
Hi,

First of all, thank you for developing WACUP, it is wonderful and I am absolutely in love with it.

So, a thought came to me lately. When it comes to the good old Winamp, the classic skins have always been my favourite aspect of it. We all know that an insane amount of skins had been made by incredibly talented people that are now kind of in limbo. Still used and loved by fans like us but not really accessible or known to most folks. Seeing how retro aesthetics and nostalgia for pixelated visuals are a major thing now, why not an entire GUI for let's say Linux based on Winamp Classic skins. I would love to have a retro themed operating system that would look and feel like old Winamp where you could change the skins on the go.

There is a GUI for XFCE called Chicago95 that simulates the looks and behaviour of Windows 95 so something similar but based on Winamp Classic should not be too difficult I imagine??

Anyway, I'm not a developer but would be willing to commit to a project like this if anyone would be willing to help me out and advise on how to approach this? Or is this a completely stupid idea?

Cheers!