Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Alternate Way of Saving Window Arrangements  (Read 4434 times)

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Alternate Way of Saving Window Arrangements
« on: July 10, 2022, 04:27:38 AM »
I'm putting this suggestion in the 'nice to have' category, since there are already ways to accomplish the intent. Just not as easily.

It would be very beneficial to have a user initiated alternate way of saving window arrangements during a session, imo. Window positions are now saved during shutdown and sometimes they are lost between sessions. This usually affects classic skins when it happens, which is much less often with the improvements that have been made.

There is already a way to restore classic skin default arrangements. Similarly, modern skin windows can be returned to their default arrangements by allowing the studio.xnf file to be re-created. But then the windows need to be adjusted and moved back to where the user likes to have them. In addition, the studio.xnf file saves more than window arrangements and then this additional info needs to be recaptured over time as the skin is used.

It is easy for a point & click user to slightly move a window accidentally during a session, but not as easy to move it back where it was. Sometimes a crash causes an intentional re-arrangement to be lost. It would be good to have a way for window arrangements to be returned to the way they were at the start of a session during a session or saved before shutdown after an intentional re-arrangement. This would be especially useful during this beta testing period.

I've been trying to make backups of the winamp.ini and studio.xnf files between sessions (where most of the major window arrangement info is stored). Sometimes I restart WACUP several times a day and don't make these backups between each session. So usually when I need to use info from the backups to edit these files, it is not recent.

Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

etsaman

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate Way of Saving Window Arrangements
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 09:40:10 PM »
+1, following.
Been having issues with the video window suddenly resizing even though "resize video window to fit video" is disabled.
This would be a potential workaround until I find the root cause or the issue is fixed.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 09:43:41 PM by etsaman »

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 01:46:30 AM »
The option added a couple of beta builds back to freeze classic skins windows positions goes a long way toward satisfying the reason for this request. Thank you for adding it.

I don't use WACUP to play video files, but I assume the related improvements in this area are also appreciated.

Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

etsaman

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 04:48:16 PM »
The option added a couple of beta builds back to freeze classic skins windows positions goes a long way toward satisfying the reason for this request. Thank you for adding it.

I don't use WACUP to play video files, but I assume the related improvements in this area are also appreciated.

At which version was this option to freeze classic skins windows positions added?

just curious as I'm still on 7236
(Loading files via the command-line was removed starting from this version;
waiting for it to be reimplemented in the new WACUP core... unless it's been done, haven't checked recently... guess I should  :) [size=78%])[/size]

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 04:57:08 PM »
The freeze option for classic skins was added in 1.7.11.12580 (August).

Command-line support was added in 1.6.1.10342 (February 2022) & to quote it:
Added official command-line handling support for interacting with the player when using non-legacy mode or native only mode with the 64-bit builds with limited support provided for legacy mode instances (this is not something that has been formally supported in all prior WACUP builds & is why the functionality has been broken for at least 9 months with the beta builds prior to this build being released)
There's been some tweaks to it in later beta builds but to my knowledge wacup.exe <command> should work irrespective of the mode but if using legacy mode (where the original winamp core is still used for modern skin / eq support), some of the actions are limited to 1 file instead of a complete list of files as the native wacup implementation supports.

-dro
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 04:59:08 PM by dro »

etsaman

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 05:37:26 PM »
Thank you Darren,
glad to see the command line feature back, and my ability to beta test :)
looking forward to testing the latest versions & changes.

should upgrade in the coming weeks.

Hopefully the freeze feature should solve my Video window resize issue.
Any plans to add this feature to modern skins? Worst case I'll use classic skins.

Is a new API still on your list of features to implement?

Thanks again for all the great work on WACUP.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 05:38:46 PM by etsaman »