Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18916 (April 18th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18916 (April 18th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: New and a lot of questions  (Read 2350 times)

Ulrika Tomsen

• View Profile
New and a lot of questions
« on: February 03, 2022, 06:10:52 PM »
Hello to all WACUP-ers

First - it is great that someone started to compile the good old Winamp.
And as i read about that today, i instantly got it downloaded and installed.

But now i have a few questions, didnt find really good answers in search.

First: i use Winamp for Karaoke-Events online.
So i was happy that we have a cdg-Plugin for Winamp. Does the old one work with WACUP?
As i have some Karaoke-CDs it would be nice to use those and the lyric screen they provide.

The same with the lyrics Plugins.
I buy Karaoke music and have to make/add my own text files, as lyrics are not provided.

In Winamp i have the possibilty to make my own Lyric files for a song or search online.
WACUP doesn't support the online lyric-search for now, thats fine for me.
But... in the lyrics window i can't find the tools to work on a textfile.
It just says the name of the title and then no lyrics where found.
A Question of settings?

I guess, i better ask before i kill the installation - i am great in doing such things ;)

Hopefully you can help me.

Cheers
Ulrika
Music was my first love - and I love singing Online.

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
Re: New and a lot of questions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 07:12:49 PM »
Greetings, it's nice to have you!

In regards to the plugins, it's mostly just trying things and see if they work.

With the lyrics window claiming it found none, it refers to the lyrics that's available in the metadata of the file you're playing (maybe it's looking for something else too, but I'm not too sure, that's something dro can answer for sure)

Hope you enjoy your stay!
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 08:19:06 PM »
In Winamp i have the possibilty to make my own Lyric files for a song or search online.
I'm assuming you were using an existing 3rd party plug-in as I honestly don't remember Winamp ever having native lyrics support outside of 3rd party plug-ins or a specific modern style skin feature (some offered something but it wasn't a generically available action).

But... in the lyrics window i can't find the tools to work on a textfile.
It just says the name of the title and then no lyrics where found.
The support is attempted first with any in-tag metadata, then a .lrc matched to the name of the file being used & then the same but with a .txt extension.

There isn't any editing support offered as I've yet not coded up any of that support & assumed most are probably creating those files at the time the media is created instead of later on (probably a poor assumption).

I probably need to consider doing more like the artwork look-up where it uses some of the file metadata / naming assumptions to try & get a better match but what I'd picked seemed to be the most commonly recognised ways.

-dro

Ulrika Tomsen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 10:15:18 PM »
Hello,

and thanks for the answers.

Yes, i am sure it must have been a 3rd Party Plugin.
and it seems, that these plugins dont really work anymore with windows 8 and 10.

Can you suggest one Lyrics-Plufin, that really works?
I know by now, that i have to go over all my files and change the data, to let find the lyrics.
So i will deinstall the WACUP and reinstall to get a clean Version

Another thing is... some Plugins are detected, put seem not really working?

https://prnt.sc/3YiIf1Z-PyN_

the last ohne.. i got :  not loaded and so i disabled it.

But.. i am happy, that at least the CDG-Plugin is working, so i can use most of my Karaoke files.

Maybe one day you have the perfekt Lyrics plugin.
I often added Informations about the Song, Composer, Coverversions, Timestamps and such in the lyrics window.
Especially for those file, i had no cdg-Files along.

Cheers
Ulrika

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 10:19:41 PM »
From the screenshot, I don't see any that are not working other than the one you've disabled - if that was showing as not loading then if you've been playing around with plug-ins its possible that the wrong version is trying to be used with the WACUP version & that could cause it to not load.

Otherwise I see mostly WACUP provided plug-ins, some that are the Winamp 5.666 ones & two 3rd party plug-ins (the question mark is just to indicate 3rd party & not that there's necessarily an issue - that's reported via the warning triangle & different text).

-dro

Ulrika Tomsen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 10:32:57 PM »
Hello Dro,

That was a quick reply, thanks.

The minilyric doesn't really work for me. At least i would expect a window showing up and telling me like before, that there is no lyric found.
At least an empty Lyric window, just showing the information that is known from the music file. That is what i know from the old Winamp i use on my streaming computer. Sadly Microsofts IE is dying now, and so i will soon have trouble with using it. Hopefully the IE-Modus in the new EDGE will help me.

Cheers
Ulri

Ulrika Tomsen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 11:12:47 PM »
Found this:

Hi mattdm11,

IN WACUP, album art may be displayed in many different ways depending on the modern skin being used. The provided Album Art v1.11 plug-in (gen_classicart.dll) provides a separate resizable window for use with classic skins. Disable this plug-in's "Lock aspect ratio" option to prevent distortion of the image.

It appears you're using the Big Bento modern skin. It allows album art to be displayed in either or both of 2 different places. It allows album art to be displayed in the window pane that you are using to display the equalizer. If you don't need the equalizer to be displayed all the time, then I suggest you switch back and forth as needed. I also suggest you try the Big Bento Modern Windows 10 edition. It provides a third way of displaying album art.

The sharpness of all album art displayed depends on the resolution of the image and the resolution of your monitor. I have a 1920 x 1080 monitor and need to use images that are at least 600 x 600.

The provided Lyrics v1.2 plug-in (gen_lyrics.dll) provides a separate resizable window for use with classic and modern skins. Album art is used as the background in this window and the plug-in's "Lock aspect ratio" option should also be disable to prevent distortion of the image. This plug-in does not search for or display lyrics from online sources.  For now, it works using either lyrics metadata in the audio file or an appropriate local file.

Many Winamp plug-ins work with WACUP with no problems and some require updating to work properly. Dro is willing to provide the updating when possible.

Guess i have over seen that.

Question is now, how to add Lyrics to the metadata of an audiofile... ;(

Cheers
Ulri

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 04:27:52 AM »
My quote in reply #6 above has 2 errors.

The gen_classicart.dll plug-in will provide a separate album art window for modern skins as well as classic skins if it is configured to do so.

The 'lock aspect ratio' option may or may not distort the image depending on if the window has been resized manually (instead of with the provided scaling options in the context menu 'Window Settings' command) and/or the resolution of the image.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 04:34:10 AM by Aminifu »
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system