Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Add Classic Spectrum Analyzer as optional Vis  (Read 18888 times)

victhor

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
Add Classic Spectrum Analyzer as optional Vis
« on: April 07, 2017, 02:01:54 AM »
Just an idea (with trick of course..). How possible would be to add Classic Spectrum Analyzer as an option to Milkdrop? (preview here, downoad here).

Example of the visualizer blended with the skin background:

It's not only an incredibly, responsive visualizer, IMO it's also an evolution of the traditional Spectrum Analyzer with a VERY flexible setup (basically you can change EVERYTHING you see).

Trick / downside is that a) It needs some caring since it's sort of buggy sometimes and b) I'm not sure source files are available... =/

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Add Classic Spectrum Analyzer as optional Vis
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 02:15:50 AM »
The buggy nature of it is something I'm aware off from https://getwacup.com/community/index.php/topic,68.0.html (beta group thread) though that was more in-combination with another plug-in. I do need to re-test one of the changes I've made in an upcoming WACUP beta that should attempt to remove the need to change folder permissions (something I don't think should ever be needed unless its the last resort).

I will need to re-check if I did get around to trying to contact the author about either getting the un-released update  (which then makes it portable / user-settings happy) &/or an ok to bundle it or if it's even possible to instead take it on going forward (assuming that the source code even exists anymore).

There was another similar vis plug-in which I mention in the thread and I think that instead had source code (mainly to help speed-up getting to something that works) so that might be an option instead if the preferred plug-in cannot be used.

-dro

victhor

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 12:23:56 AM »
There was another similar vis plug-in which I mention in the thread and I think that instead had source code (mainly to help speed-up getting to something that works) so that might be an option instead if the preferred plug-in cannot be used.

You mean "the one from David Orton"? I can't find it... -_-

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 06:49:51 PM »
Yeah that's the one. I found it on archive.org iirc - would need to go back and find the notes I made when I looked into it (if I can remember where I put them - will teach me to tidy things up).

-dro

victhor

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 07:05:37 PM »
No wonder why I couldn't find it, it's David OVERTON, maybe you've got the source from here >> https://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=960&lngWId=3

Chillbo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 09:44:21 AM »
I'd very much like to see this plug-in be part of the WACUP package. The only issue I've got with it is with output plug-ins like the Kernel Streaming 3.64 (WACUP) plug-in that it's extremely laggy. You can configure a latency in the options, but it never gets synchronous. So, making this visualizer plug-in represent the audio output without latency from all output plug-ins would be marvelous.

What I haven't tested yet - due to the lack of WASAPI exclusive mode capable hardware - whether this is just a KS related issue. And additionally, it might be intresting to see whether ASIO is fine. Maybe someone else could help with this?

Fumbling_Foo

• Current Milkdrop Preset Artist
  • Beta Tester
  • Form follows beat detection :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 03:58:17 PM »
I also would be interested in an ASIO plugin or some kind of over-ride where the output khz and bit-rate is matched to the audio file input instead of windows forcing what's specified in the audio device settings. Though if there's significant lag that definitely wouldn't be good for visualizing and a no-go for me :( .
:::Current Presets:::
Maelstrom
Synaescope

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 10:13:36 PM »
I'm going to move this thread to implemented requests as the Classic Spectrum Analyzer plug-in is now part of WACUP as of build 2940.
Big thanks to Mike for allowing this to happen :)

-dro