Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: EBU R128 loudness normalisation  (Read 18229 times)

CodeLurker

• View Profile
Re: EBU R128 loudness normalisation
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 08:20:05 AM »
I thought I had been open minded in providing the 2 common methods that other players are using so a) I maintain compatibility for those needing it whilst b) adopting what from my research has been deemed the more appropriate solution to use. If there are other options that a decent majority are using then I'm open to trying to add support for them, subject to code & licensing related to it.

I'm not aware of any choice two methods when calculating Replay Gain, or even what is being used now.  I see "Send to|Calculate Replay Gain", and that's it.  Under Replay Gain in options, I don't see a choice of method for calculation.

With regards to manually editing of the values, its not been done yet as not all of the input plug-ins that are responsible for handling such matters have been replaced &/or modified to make it viable to generically edit that metadata. Once that's done then the singular & batch edit dialogs will get the support added to them.

I'm not sure why editing the Replay Gain setting would require generic editing of metadata; but I'm glad to hear it is in the works.  This is a huge thing foobar2000 has on WinAmp.

I know most just see it is disabled edit controls but to have things done consistently (which has been an issue with Winamp not doing that) then there's a few pieces that need to be sorted out which is part of my end goals to have key tagging functionality somewhat isolated from the input plug-ins so things can be done to it without having to update half a dozen plug-ins &/or the duplicated code that comes from some of them using the same tagging format (e.g. ogg vorbis + flac plug-ins).

I'm not aware of what disabled edit controls you refer to.  I can certainly see that you wouldn't want to repeat metadata code in all the input plugins.  Sounds like you'll have a .dll plugin that handles them for more than one input plugin; or are putting it in winamp.exe.  That there are only a few pieces to be sorted out sounds like you've been making great progress, and I look forward to its impending arrival.  In short, it all sounds great, and I like where you are saying you are going.

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2019, 01:37:24 AM »
I am thinking that maybe this is the wrong forum section, as this is not really a feature request.
More like a bug in an existing feature.
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2019, 04:43:21 PM »
I thought I had been open minded in providing the 2 common methods that other players are using so a) I maintain compatibility for those needing it whilst b) adopting what from my research has been deemed the more appropriate solution to use. If there are other options that a decent majority are using then I'm open to trying to add support for them, subject to code & licensing related to it.

I'm not aware of any choice two methods when calculating Replay Gain, or even what is being used now.  I see "Send to|Calculate Replay Gain", and that's it.  Under Replay Gain in options, I don't see a choice of method for calculation.
It's only a choice under WACUP - I've attached below & highlighted the mode on the preferences as I provide both options but default to the newer mode by default.

With regards to manually editing of the values, its not been done yet as not all of the input plug-ins that are responsible for handling such matters have been replaced &/or modified to make it viable to generically edit that metadata. Once that's done then the singular & batch edit dialogs will get the support added to them.

I'm not sure why editing the Replay Gain setting would require generic editing of metadata; but I'm glad to hear it is in the works.  This is a huge thing foobar2000 has on WinAmp.
Its because it's silly to have one plug-in support it & others not hence why I need to make the changes I'm gradually working on so it's dependent upon however many input plug-ins to be updated to the required support & instead just having the core "do it" so from a user viewpoint it just works & what's going on under the hood then doesn't matter :)

I know most just see it is disabled edit controls but to have things done consistently (which has been an issue with Winamp not doing that) then there's a few pieces that need to be sorted out which is part of my end goals to have key tagging functionality somewhat isolated from the input plug-ins so things can be done to it without having to update half a dozen plug-ins &/or the duplicated code that comes from some of them using the same tagging format (e.g. ogg vorbis + flac plug-ins).

I'm not aware of what disabled edit controls you refer to.  I can certainly see that you wouldn't want to repeat metadata code in all the input plugins.  Sounds like you'll have a .dll plugin that handles them for more than one input plugin; or are putting it in winamp.exe.  That there are only a few pieces to be sorted out sounds like you've been making great progress, and I look forward to its impending arrival.  In short, it all sounds great, and I like where you are saying you are going.
My bad, I'd forgotten when I made that part of the reply that I'd tweaked the alt+3 dialog so it doesn't have bits of edit controls & instead just shows the information that's found (or not) vs what 5.666 was offering. It'll get there in the end, just a lot of things behind the scenes that need to be caught to get it coming together :)

-dro

mint_jr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2019, 04:05:26 PM »
Looks like the implementation always assumes peak values are 16 bit even at other bit depths resulting in the peak values being 1.5x what they ought to be for 24 bit.