Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Winamp prepares a relaunch, new beta version almost ready  (Read 3023 times)

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Winamp prepares a relaunch, new beta version almost ready
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 04:45:37 PM »
At least there was a WACUP mention for a change but they've lied about things happening for almost 8yrs though there might be some legitimacy this time around but everything they've said gives me no interest to want to try it out if it does ever appear.

I'll just stick with being a dinosaur in my 'classic' winamp-like world as that's what I want & am highly doubtful their never version is going to be anything Winamp-like in nature (when they're using a new logo that's almost SS-like in style, I don't get good vibes let alone their new website taking over 10seconds to load for me) & just get on with keeping WACUP going :)

Am also sure there'll be loads that'll lap up whatever they offer & it's probably going to cause this project issues but whilst there's enough support & interest then I'll keep going with it.

-dro
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 04:46:36 PM by dro »

etsaman

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 06:07:32 PM »
If the "new" Winamp is as slow as the "new" Winamp website, I wouldn't be too concerned...

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 06:35:21 PM »
Seems we can thank this person for some of that slowness... https://twitter.com/AudreyRBC/status/1461756490839117832

-dro

etsaman

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 07:11:32 PM »
I guess what some organizations dont understand when acquiring software is the user profile of people actually using the product and their motivations/expectations.

I'm pretty sure most people still using Wacup/Winamp don't give a **** about funky marketing crap and new logos. But a number of us care about features/functionalities and developers listening to users, not marketers.

Also, I'd bet that a lot of us still use it because we want to have control over the media we listen to, not the other we around:

" artists and audio creators we're all about giving you control over your content. We'll help you to connect closely with your fans"

Wow. No. you don't get it... I dont want you to connect with me, I'll let you know if I want to...

And yes some of us like "Blobby gradient experiences" 😂 , thanks Audrey. But we like it fast and CPU/OS efficient. Don't spend your dev time and money on something which already exists (Its called Milkdrop Audrey...)

Oh man... Another streaming app coming...

Cheers.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 09:33:02 PM »
Nothing that's being done nor shown off is imho a surprise. The lot that own Winamp & SHOUTcast are about how to sell TargetSpot adverts & how to make money, no more no less. They also made it quite clear that classic Winamp wasn't going to continue (it died in June 2014 in my eyes) & I was told I was too stuck in the past & that the streaming stuff is what people want.

Maybe it is the only way to go nowadays but like you note, if you're still using Winamp now, you're not really going to be into the things that have made many more move to other services. Either way, their product, their choice & likewise I'm going to keep doing WACUP as that's what works for me & hopefully is beneficial to others.

-dro

TweakHound

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • TweakHound.com
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 01:43:21 PM »
With WACUP having constantly being updated and improved I don't see the need for anything else.
It will be up to those who know to keep spreading the word when any new Winamp is mentioned.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 03:46:55 PM »
Aye. Is whether a 'classic' Winamp-like experience with WACUP or the mythically all new Winamp is what someone wants. Am sure there's plenty that don't care & if their version does appear they'll lap it up just from the brand name being associated with it or if they'll be super pissed that it's not "Winamp" (i.e. not doing all of the crap they've kept using for instead of the streaming services for that exact reason) along with the very strong likelihood that there's no backwards compatibility &/or no skins as we know it. It does however mean I need to sort out a bit of re-branding of WACUP in it's started position of being for offering a 'classic' Winamp experience so it's maybe a bit easier to get what it is actually here to do.

-dro

joebloggscity

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 09:11:24 AM »
This is a big shocker! I've been a winamp/wacup user now for 20 years, and like many very disappointed about how they left us all in the lurch.

WACUP - lots of respect, and the job you've done I can't speak highly enough of. I admit there are some areas that I hope can be fixed up and improved, but at least yo all put the time in and we respect it. I don't want to be stuck on streamers like Spotify etc.

Will I got back to Winamp? I don't know!

Splitting up the resources on maintaining the setup could be a problem.  We'll all lose out.

If being honest after the last [lost count] years, i've little confidence in Winamp, i'm sorry to say.

Okay, on that basis I'll def stick with WACUP, wish I could help you lot with updating. I'm not a mega programmer (python, SQL, VBA are my specialities).

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 11:10:15 AM »
You will be (not so) surprised/shocked to find that all they're after is data.

It's all they want, they've probably been bullshitting people with the initial announcement!
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2021, 04:08:25 PM »
My current view is that their "Winamp" which assuming it even happens as noted there's been a number of false reports of new things coming & an incomplete abandoned beta is all there is to show for it is not Winamp as I'd want to it to be. To a lot that probably doesn't matter & just having the name slapped on something is all they're going to want but I strongly don't see anything that is going to come from them which has a true 'classic' Winamp-like experience.

So for me I'm still going to be doing WACUP as a 'classic' Winamp-like experience is what I want (even if others don't or think they don't based on the comments I've seen) & in my mind anything coming from RN/AV isn't imho "Winamp" as it was known. That's fine as they can do whatever they want since they own it (same for I can make WACUP as that's what fits my needs) but I strongly don't think they get why so many have stuck with the existing Winamp because it's not a generic streaming service that is just there to make them money & help push adverts.

It's also down to each user what they want to do & use. So I'm sure there'll be those that'll abandon 'classic' Winamp / WACUP for their new version (again assuming it even happens) & that's also fine as everyone has their own needs & requirements. I just don't think they necessarily realise the cost of what they're going to be going over to if it does happen which based on what's been posted along with the job listings & prior experience is at complete odds with what I'd expect from "Winamp" (along with my obvious personal bias against that whole organisation).

-dro