Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Shuffle repeats song even when preserve option enabled  (Read 3007 times)

poddex

• View Profile
Shuffle repeats song even when preserve option enabled
« on: July 26, 2021, 12:22:52 PM »
Hello.
When "Preserve shuffle table between sessions" enabled, WACUP repeats songs.
I can proof it on my music library - WACUP REPEATS.
But he shouldn't do that (by logic of this setting).
If you provide me with beta-version with play log function (make a log of played songs), I can proof that.
Sometimes it repeats 1-2 songs. Sometimes - 4-5 songs over 20 play positions.
Number of repeats increases when I add new songs to a playlist.
How can I avoid repeats? Thanks.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Shuffle repeats song even when preserve option enabled
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 02:23:52 PM »
There already is the means to see what the shuffle table is doing via the diagnostics preference tab for the shuffle list (look down to the bottom of the preferences tree) so getting access to a beta (which I'm not adding new people at the moment as the beta program isn't meeting my needs) isn't really going to help as nothing has been changed vs the current preview build.

The point of the option is to preserve the shuffle table between sessions but _only_ if the contents of the playlist haven't been changed i.e. starting WACUP with an external file / playlist that wipes the playlist is going to reset the shuffle table. Additionally the same can happen if using it & modifying the main playlist (as you've noted you're doing) depending on if it's a complete replacement of the playlist or if its adding to the existing playlist.

If it's the later then there is an attempt depending on how much of the playlist has been played to add the new files in a manner that won't mess with the existing shuffle table. However if you're expecting it to level out the playback of files then that is not what the feature is intended to do & that's something which will be looked into at a later time to factor in the number of plays (as stored in the local library / history) to try to make things seem less repetitive (even though shuffle is just a pre-generated random list so there's nothing to stop that duplicating things when it's regenerated).

-dro

poddex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 11:00:25 AM »
Ok, but can you add the ability to stop shuffle from regenerate new playlist until all songs from playlist are played (including newest). I add new songs every day and it will be better (imho :) that WACAUP shouldn't play older songs which was already played in current playlist (count 1).
Sorry my English, hope, you understand. Thanks.

poddex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 11:21:58 AM »
An option like "don't repeat" with an additional hidden playlist and play couunt control.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 12:40:38 PM »
What _exactly_ are you doing to the playlist ? i.e. what actions are you using, is the default to enqueue or play. As I can't currently replicate it clearing the shuffle table unless the current playlist has been cleared in some manner (e.g. double-click in the local library when the default is 'play' - in that scenario it is expected to clear the shuffle table).

However if you're expecting it to level out the playback of files then that is not what the feature is intended to do & that's something which will be looked into at a later time to factor in the number of plays (as stored in the local library / history) to try to make things seem less repetitive
Using the recorded playcount is still something I've got to implement later on as I said along with a number of other possible options to control shuffle.

-dro

poddex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 01:04:44 PM »
I simply drag new files in a WACUP playlist. That's all.
And shuffle begins repeat older songs. WACUP also plays some new, but the fact is that shuffle repeats songs which was already played. Today it repeats 50% of played songs.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 01:15:44 PM »
Have you looked at the diagnostics prefs tab I mentioned when you're doing that action to see how it's changing? A screenshot showing the dropped point or a small video might be helpful.

Also what skin & where exactly on WACUP are you dropping the files as I feel like I'm missing some small detail to be able to either replicate this & confirm whether it is expected or if I do have a bug.

-dro
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 01:16:39 PM by dro »

poddex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 01:29:25 PM »
ok, I will record a gif about this.

poddex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 06:40:50 PM »
I created a GIF described all pre-movings. I just drag files in a playlist. And then WACUP begins to repeat songs.

poddex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2021, 06:04:54 PM »
I want to explain my task more correctly:

I want to add new songs into the same playlist, and want WACUP inserted these new songs randomly sometime later in the existing shuffled sequence, so the first  songs cannot be heard again as they are back in the shuffle history.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2021, 06:26:54 PM »
I follow what you're trying to do & I see what you're doing in the gif but I just can't replicate that problem with the current beta & development build & have to assume its a problem with the public preview build especially with it generating empty items in the shown shuffle table lists.

Until there's a newer preview build to try out I don't have much to add on the issue as build 7236 & build 8282+ are different enough to make direct comparisons tricky.

-dro

poddex

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2021, 08:31:46 AM »
And what about this?
"....so the first  songs cannot be heard again as they are back in the shuffle history."
Can you add an ability to prevent re-generating shuffle table when new items added in a playlist?
Or, maybe, an ability to control play count of files (maybe on a MD5-identification or something else, based on a playlist/internal wacup algorithms/etc...) as alternative.
Thanks.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2021, 01:12:10 PM »
I can't replicate the issue & what you're experiencing is not how the code is setup to work so adding in the things you're saying don't make sense. Maybe I'm missing something but until I can somehow replicate the issue & you've had a chance to use the current code base instead of the old preview build I'm not going to look into this any further.

I've also said that at some point in the future I need to add a means for the shuffle to take into account the prior playback history but that is not happening immediately as I need to have WACUP not reliant on Winamp to run.

-dro

poddex

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2021, 07:14:47 PM »
Thanks. I will try 8282.