Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Milkdrop on system audio?  (Read 2819 times)

ferropop

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Milkdrop on system audio?
« on: May 03, 2021, 07:02:00 PM »
Hi! Any plans to give Milkdrop the ability to react to system audio, and not just media being played by WACUP?

I recall the original builds of Winamp had this ability, I believe by listening to the "Stereo Mix" device that was common on soundcards.

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
Re: Milkdrop on system audio?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 08:51:03 PM »
It still uses linein the same way.
Open the "Play URL" in the file menu.
Use "linein://"

Or use the more advanced WACUP capture settings in the prefs panel
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 09:44:17 PM »
It's on my todo list for a milkdrop:// specific mode to capture the current system output along with force setting WACUP to not re-output any audio itself with the built-in null output so it can just render from what's overall being played.

As there's cases where the capture support as-is can't get at the overall system audio either due to a lack of stereo mix or the normal means not being able to get a specific device (especially with usb output). Whereas there's a means with the WASAPI support that seems to be able to work as a generic capture target so what's playing can be gotten irrespective of the rest of the system / drivers / hardware being used.

Also the linein:// / capture:// isn't quite the same compared to Winamp & from something I'd tried out a few weeks ago from this also coming up on the WACUP Discord server is why I can't really rely on that as a catch-all solution (same goes for suggesting things like virtual audio cables as that can be intimidating to some users).

-dro

serge000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 05:33:44 AM »
Hi! I wish dro you could bring that function to wacup!! this will be epic!

shouldn't be too hard to use the code from beatdrop loopback-capture ? no?

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 01:17:48 PM »
I've already noted above that it's on my todo list & will eventually get added, it's just not a high priority for me to implement for the moment with the on-going issues with the replacement local library plug-in & getting WACUP to not rely upon the original Winamp program file to run.

It'll get done eventually & I've got test code already that seems to do what I'd want (with it handling audio capture when using USB speakers which isn't something the existing linein:// method is able to handle correctly) so I probably don't need to consider looking at beatdrop (not sure if it's even licensed in a compatible manner that'd allow me to use it's aspects even if I was going to go that route).

-dro