Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Drag and drop a music folder with a playlist file adds duplicate files  (Read 1345 times)

Master

• View Profile
Hi quick question:

When I drag and drop a folder (with mp3 files and a m3u playlist) to the playlist editor it always adds all files twice, it adds both the mp3s AND all the files inside the m3u playlist (the same) it seems. Old Winamp somehow filtered the dupe files when drag and dropping. I cant seem to find any WACUP setting for this unfortunately.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

Version 1.9.20.17040
OS Win 10

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Drag and drop a music folder with a playlist file adds duplicate files
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 01:31:35 AM »
No such option currently exists & a smarter handling of drag+drop still needs to be coded so for now it'll just add what it's given even if that then duplicates things. I'm also not aware of Winamp having done any filtering of things either since both programs just parse the given list of files from the drag+drop action.

-dro
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 01:33:09 AM by dro »

Master

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2023, 05:39:35 AM »
Hi, thanks for your quick reply.

In Winamp 5.666 it works fine. It looks like they do some kind of duplicate file check when drag-and-dropping from file explorer.

I've added a video to make it more clear what I mean.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2023, 11:01:16 AM »
I get what you're describing, I just don't remember it as being a thing Winamp would do from having previously worked on it to ignore playlists found within drag+drop actions though I see 5.666 acting as described from a quick re-test so I guess my memory of things isn't all that great nowadays. Maybe I need to consider adding in an option to ignore playlist files on drag+drop actions.

De-duplicating what WACUP adds from drag+drop actions along with trying to use the playlist ordering &/or metadata to get the expected track order to deal with Explorer not often providing files in the expected order (due to file creation, selection quirks in Explorer) is something already on my list of things to do. So doing all of that might be the more sensible thing to do with my time vs an option that imho could cause more issues than it helps, will have to have a think & see when I can schedule it into things.

-dro
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 12:13:59 PM by dro »

Master

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 02:25:44 PM »
Thanks again for your reply, this was just an annoyance I encountered while using WACUP for the first time. I thought maybe it was some kind of setting but maybe it was not.

The strange thing is when I choose "Add folder" from the "playlist editor" it DOES filter out dupes and only adds a file  once when it contains mp3+m3u. Maybe some code could be reused there.