Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Is Winamp required?  (Read 4794 times)

geronimo

• View Profile
Is Winamp required?
« on: September 21, 2019, 12:19:48 AM »
I had been happily using several iterations of Windows 10 and old Winamp 5.666 Lite with iterations of DFx and Fx Sound Enhancer. After an update to Windows 10 v1903, the sound from winamp became muted, unless I disabled Fx Sound Enhancer. I stumbled across a Winamp forum post recommending WACUP as a general remedy for Windows 10 incompatibilities, and installed it. Everything returned to normal. Curiously, I downloaded the latest version Winamp for Windows 10, only to discover the sound was still muted. I totally deleted Winamp. The WACUP player works fine. Is winamp installation required, if so why?

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
Re: Is Winamp required?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 12:32:21 AM »
The WACUP installer will download the necessary Winamp 5.666 files it needs, additionally it is also possible to upgrade a pre-existing Winamp installation to WACUP.
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Is Winamp required?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 10:10:05 PM »
That's good to hear that WACUP is working better for you than Winamp on the same OS install.

WACUP is at the moment of this reply a hybrid of Winamp & WACUP 5.666 files - I think we're around 70% of Winamp files replaced / removed for WACUP versions. Eventually the aim is to not use any Winamp 5.666 files but still be as compatible to it for existing Winamp plug-ins & skins to keep working which is essentially re-writing Winamp but still getting that Winamp-like experience (unlike a lot of Winamp clones that do it differently & don't quick match up).

The WACUP installer will as per your agreement to running the WACUP installer get & install the files from the 5.666 installer & copy them over as needed so you don't have to go out & install Winamp 5.666 first (it also makes it easier for testing purposes so you can more easily compare the 2 side-by-side).

-dro