Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Album Shuffle  (Read 3502 times)

zackbuffo

• View Profile
    • Fracture - The godfathers of Mombeach Metal
Album Shuffle
« on: May 08, 2020, 10:30:26 AM »
My feature request is to have the ability to play all albums in the collection in their original track order (assuming the required tags are available), but in random order on album level. Regarding my personal way of listening to music, I would prefer an additional option to "randomize playlist", because I don't want to have double plays before all items are played once (in terms of the feature request, item equals "album"). There might be another way by just adding another "Shuffle" mode (which I would not favour, because it would allow "double-plays").

(Just for the record: This is just my personal taste and expectation on random/shuffle in general. I don't claim this being the correct "scientific definition" and thus please do not challenge the term random/shuffle and its "correct" behavior in here.)

Behavior for missing tags could be the following:
- No track number, but album tag available: Sort tracks randomly or by title (if available) or filename instead within the album scope.
- Album tag is missing: Just throw them in randomly between albums.

There is an old Album Shuffle Plug-in out in the wild, which I tried a while ago. Unfortunately this made Winamp crash quite often and the handling with aditional playlist-like windows wasn't quite comfortable to me.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Album Shuffle
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 10:44:02 PM »
An approximation can be done with the Playlist Separators which can be configured if shuffle is off to then play the items in sequence until a separator is met & then it can jump to another one. However playback selection like shuffle / random / controlled ordering is to be looked into as it's something that keeps coming up.

-dro

zackbuffo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 03:33:16 PM »
It think I rather tried Album List 2 (https://winampheritage.com/plugin/album-list-2/139186).

As I looked them up, I couldn't recall anything with seperators. So for me there's no need to visually mimic the same aproach as the Album Shuffle plug-in (https://winampheritage.com/plugin/album-shuffle-2-0/148018).

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 04:02:39 PM »
The Album Shuffle plug-in image is using my separator suggestion (under Winamp it needed a separate plug-in which WACUP includes out of the box) so I only suggested it as a quick way to try to achieve what's wanted until a more integrated option without needing separators to be shown gets implemented.

Albumlist could also be an option if it's pre-sorting things before adding into the main playlist or you could probably achieve a similar thing depending on the view sorting mode within a local library smart view.

-dro

zackbuffo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 03:03:28 PM »
Hope you didn't get me wrong, I do appreciate your suggestion. I just wanted to express my patience, that I'm willing to wait for something "more integrated". Besides that (and without trying) the separator-stuff sounded a bit too hand-crafted for my taste to achieve the goal. That's why and because I managed to listen to music without album shuffle for some ten years now, I'd prefer a decent built-in solution. Imploringly hoping that it will land in WACUP some day... ;)

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 06:45:59 PM »
I didn't & just thought it better to mention something than not :)

-dro