Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #19100 (May 10th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #19100 (May 10th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Audio file association target - which EXE?  (Read 3921 times)

WackaMold

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Audio file association target - which EXE?
« on: April 10, 2020, 09:53:13 PM »
When we manually set what program is launched to open audio files, should we point to in the WacUp folder: WacUp.EXE or WinAmp.EXE? My installation says it is in Portable mode, so "Associated Files" and "Windows Shell Integration" are [Disabled] under Preferences / General / File Types.

To manage associations, I use Types 2.6.5 'file type editor' from https://ystr.github.io/types It is 115K, has source, a portable version, and a command line version. Very convenient to use from the Explorer context menu with the attached registry entry:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\Type]
@="Edit file type"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\Type\command]
@="\"C:\\Path\\Types\\Types.exe\" \"%1\""

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Audio file association target - which EXE?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 10:18:55 PM »
Its down to which one you prefer as the potential default icon as that's the only difference (and the version info) between them.

-dro

WackaMold

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 11:39:23 PM »
Excellent, the two programs handle command line arguments the same way. That means when I see two complete copies of the player running and playing at the same time, then the various startup methods need adjustment until they all point to the same target for Windows to execute. Registry associations, Start Menu items, desktop icons, batch files, shortcuts, items in another app-launcher, etc.

But what is going on when WacUp.EXE is playing a track, and a different audio file gets passed on a new command line like \Path\WacUp.EXE "\Path\NewTrack.FLAC", and the attached error message pops up? I expect the player to follow the preferences and do something like one of:
- stop playing, and switch to playing the file
- append the file to the current playlist
- whatever else is possible
Or, where can I find documentation about the available command line parameters? This is from August 2019, but tried the /Add and it seems to not work:
Launching Winamp

For the first  copy: WinAmp /INIDIR="%appdata%\Winamp1" /CLASS="Winamp1"
For the second copy: WinAmp /INIDIR="%appdata%\Winamp2" /CLASS="Winamp2"

To play a file in an already open Winamp (note: this will launch Winamp, as above, if the particular copy is not open)

For the first  copy: WinAmp /INIDIR="%appdata%\Winamp1" /CLASS="Winamp1"      some.mp3
For the second copy: WinAmp /INIDIR="%appdata%\Winamp2" /CLASS="Winamp2"      some.mp3

To enqueue a file in an already open Winamp (note: as above, this will launch if not already open)

For the first  copy: WinAmp /INIDIR="%appdata%\Winamp1" /CLASS="Winamp1" /Add some.mp3
For the second copy: WinAmp /INIDIR="%appdata%\Winamp2" /CLASS="Winamp2" /Add some.mp3
The /INIDIR switch specifies where to store configuration files. I've just chosen a typical place, you can place it wherever.

The /CLASS switch uniquely identifies the instance of Winamp, so that you can play and enqueue files to one particular instance when multiple ones are open.
You can use any names you want (limited to about 60 characters).
Note: using the /CLASS switch could potentially break some third party programs and plugins that communicate with Winamp.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 12:33:29 AM by WackaMold »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 02:18:44 AM »
This is why there isn't file association support fully enabled with WACUP as things are incomplete &/or don't fully work if a Winamp or WACUP install is also running / in-use. That's why you're getting that error message as the WACUP core is correctly but also incorrectly seeing there's another install instead of passing things on to that instance as it's meant to be doing.

wacup /? on the command-line details what is there within the current WACUP build. However the handling more often ends up being done via COM/OLE instead of the command-line despite what's being set into the registry (especially if there's an existing configured Winamp install).

-dro