Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Quinto v3.7 now compatible with WACUP :)  (Read 2224 times)

ariszlo

• View Profile
Quinto v3.7 now compatible with WACUP :)
« on: May 23, 2023, 08:58:43 AM »
The previous version of Quinto was broken through and through in WACUP unless you kept a copy of its scripts folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Skins\Quinto Black CT v3.6. You no longer need to do so.

Quinto Black CT v3.7.exe, Quinto's installer still will not install the skin into WACUP's skins directory. You still need a file with the name winamp.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp to make the installer believe you have Winamp on your machine. (The file does not really need to be a real exe file, a plain text file with an exe extension will do as well.)

Once Quinto is installed into Winamp's skins directory, you can move Quinto's folder into WACUP. And that's it.

Get Quinto Black CT v3.7 here.

Explanation
Version 3.6 of Quinto hard-coded Quinto's path in its makis but now it uses @SKINPATH@ instead.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 09:14:49 AM by ariszlo »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Quinto v3.7 now compatible with WACUP :)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 05:17:41 PM »
Does it still have the requirement to wipe the studio.xnf file at the cost of losing customisations for all other modern skins ?

-dro

ariszlo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 08:32:48 PM »
Yes, it still does.

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 02:30:35 AM »
Yes, it still does.

I like Quinto Black, but this is a major stumbling point. PeterK needs to have the installer remove all Quinto related stuff from studio.xnf instead of requiring a new studio.xnf for each version upgrade.
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 02:16:00 PM »
I doubt he would & it's likely too much hassle to try to do it especially from an installer or without a custom tool to do it. At least the installer doesn't seem like it's doing it (not tried so might be wrong on that assumption).

I still don't get why it's a requirement since if it's due to config changes within the quinto skin then just using different names for the config attributes would suffice without the brute force option that messes up all other skins which I suspect is more down to not being bothered about anyone not using the quinto skin (not that it's great for anyone who might've been using prior quinto skin installs either).

-dro

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2023, 04:52:51 PM »
I dropped PeterK a note and he said it is not possible for him to have the Quinto Black CT installer clean up the studio.xnf file. He also explained that using new names for stuff would not prevent old entries from causing errors in new versions, without a complete rewrite of the skin.

In my case, I've gotten pretty good at replacing entries for my other skins, but there is always the chance of errors that cause me to skip new Quinto versions unless really interesting features are added. After-all, from the ui control side of things, WACUP provides alternate ways to control everything that Quinto provides controls for.

PeterK will soon be releasing v3.8 that will have compelling new features, imo.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 05:15:21 PM by Aminifu »
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system