Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Global Hotkey combination (ALT+anything) not working only for "Playback: Stop"  (Read 2619 times)

binco81

• View Profile
Possible bug

I started using WACUP recently but I noticed a weird behavior while trying to set some Global Hotkeys that I always used with Winamp 5.666 and other previous Winamp ersions without any problems.

When I try to use the combination of ALT+anything (a few hotkeys I tried: ALT+1, ALT+S, ALT+numpad 3) for the "Playback: Stop" function, WACUP doesn't show any error and allows this combination, but when the music is playing, it just won't stop the music when using those hotkeys. If I use literally the same combinations (ALT+1, ALT+S, ALT+numpad 3) for "Playback: Play" or "Playback: Pause", it works normally.

I tried replacing ALT with CTRL and use the same combinations for the second key (CTRL+1, CTRL+S, CTRL+numpad 3) for "Playback: Stop" and it works normally. Even CTRL+ALT+anything works. It just won't work with ALT+any combination for some weird reason.

I even used Hotkey Screener to see if another program was using those hotkeys, but it said wacup.exe was the "owner" of the hotkeys using ALT+something, so it appears to WACUP is not saving or blocking the use of ALT+anything for the "Playback: Stop".
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 02:22:14 AM by binco81 »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
It's a processing conflict with the 'advance to next on stop' option which is handled via Alt+Click & due to how the stop hotkey is sent the handler isn't seeing that it's from within a hotkey action & so toggles that option instead of doing the stop that's wanted. Will look to get it fixed for the next build.

-dro

binco81

• View Profile
It's a processing conflict with the 'advance to next on stop' option which is handled via Alt+Click & due to how the stop hotkey is sent the handler isn't seeing that it's from within a hotkey action & so toggles that option instead of doing the stop that's wanted. Will look to get it fixed for the next build.

-dro

Thank you for looking into it.

In the meantime, is there a workaround to "fix" this? Like disabling the function using the ALT+CLICK since I don't use it?

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Hi binco81,

I, for one, do use the 'advance to next on stop' option so disabling it is not a viable fix for your issue, imo. Hopefully dro will be able to fix your issue in the next release without having to disable any of the current WACUP functions.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 09:13:03 AM by Aminifu »
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

binco81

• View Profile
Hi binco81,

I, for one, do use the 'advance to next on stop' option so disabling it is not a viable fix for your issue, imo. Hopefully dro will be able to fix your issue in the next release without having to disable any of the current WACUP functions.

Yes, I understand people use it. The part I said about "disabling it since I don't use it" would be like me disabling a specific plugin that possibly controls this part.

I wasn't suggesting to remove this function from WACUP, I was just curious if disabling some specific plugin on my end would make a temporary fix for this problem here, without affecting anyone else.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 12:12:23 AM by binco81 »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It's hard-coded handling within the core to help the hotkey plug-in with some other reported Alt+<modifier>+<key> issues, just it didn't allow for the simpler Alt+<key> to work correctly all of the time & needs a newer WACUP core dll & hotkey plug-in to resolve it. So not something that can be disabled to workaround it - only option for that would be going for Alt+<modifier>+<key>

-dro

binco81

• View Profile
It's hard-coded handling within the core to help the hotkey plug-in with some other reported Alt+<modifier>+<key> issues, just it didn't allow for the simpler Alt+<key> to work correctly all of the time & needs a newer WACUP core dll & hotkey plug-in to resolve it. So not something that can be disabled to workaround it - only option for that would be going for Alt+<modifier>+<key>

-dro

Thank you for the explanation. I thought it was some of the plugins that was responsible for this but now I see that is not that.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It depends on the feature & in some respects I'm less modular than Winamp due to having integrated a load of my Winamp plug-ins into the WACUP core where often it's just a few lines of code to do what's actually needed vs a multi-KB dll & bumping the overheads for things to achieve it (which was how it had to be done as a plug-in but as I've got my own core I can integrate things more easily even if it's not necessarily the cleanest of ways of doing it).

It also doesn't help that Alt is a bit of a weird key with how it can be handled at times & along with seeing ghost responses of the mouse still being clicked as part of the checks I was doing to try to allow the Alt based hotkey actions through it meant not only was Alt+<key> incorrectly toggling the next on stop option it could also be toggled afterwards at times along with the overall issue of not being handled as intended.

-dro