Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18798 (April 7th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: How To Remove Silence?  (Read 6720 times)

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
  • ... (-(-_(-_-)_-)-) ...
    • View Profile
How To Remove Silence?
« on: March 28, 2020, 12:25:07 AM »
I listen to several concert/live music files and there is a noticeable silence between each track. Is there a way to remove the silence?

-thx

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: How To Remove Silence?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 12:38:27 PM »
It depends on the output plug-in being used as to whether it provides silence removal or not.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 06:30:43 PM »
It depends on the output plug-in being used as to whether it provides silence removal or not.

-dro

I was hoping for a 'how to' response. I must now assume this silence is the default .

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 08:10:19 PM »
Without knowing what output you're using it didn't make much sense to list potentially unhelpful options.

For the directsound plug-ins they come with a silence option that needs to be enabled & which allows for the threshold to be adjusted.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 10:55:42 PM »
Without knowing what output you're using it didn't make much sense to list potentially unhelpful options.
ok - let's make it very simple. I just installed WACUP for the first time. What is the (default) output and how to then proceed?

-thx

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 12:06:32 AM »
The second part of my prior reply answers that.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 12:26:27 AM »
oh well ...- thx for your help.

anyone else want to tackle the op with a 'how to'?

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 12:31:48 AM »
Preferences -> Plug-ins -> Output -> configure the directsound plug-in as needed. That's all there is to it.

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 03:05:58 AM »
I see two 'directsound'. One that appears to branch underneath 'Output' and another in a window that appears when 'Output' is cliked.

Also, at both locations I notice sliders (dread). Does this mean I need to tweak each performance? ("No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.")

The terms 'adjust' and 'configure' inform this will not be a 'check this box and presto! solution - (oh well x 2)

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 03:36:24 AM »
I'll be blunt, this is all one big f**king mess (hence everything is beta/preview) as I've not completed everything needed to kill off out_ds & that's why there's 2 plug-ins & preferences for what will be the default plug-in. But as you said for out of the box instructions then you need to configure the OLD plug-in.

However the information at the top of the page that I said to go to is clear in that what's selected is the one that is to be configured & I would have said to use the other prefs page if that was where to go.

So here's the config pages to go to depending on what plug-in you use. And with that I'm going to try & get some sleep before I say / do anything else that's wrong.

-dro
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 03:37:07 AM by dro »

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 05:02:44 PM »
Thank you dro.

Anyone who has found slider settings, adjustments and/or a configuration that works for them for the live performance or non-live seamless track-to-track recordings (e.g. Pink Floyd etc.) please post.

-thx

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 03:27:35 PM »
You're better just playing around to find what works than waiting on someone to give you a solid value as it's going to depend on what level your recordings are at vs the silence differential which may not be the same as someone else's recordings / music selection.

Otherwise you'd need a different silence removal option with it based off the digital silence which itself needs user refinement from the feedback I used to get from my Silence Detector DSP (which I need to bring back / merge into WACUP at some point).

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 05:43:25 PM »
Thx dro, but I don't mind waiting, I will fiddle when I have the time. Until then, I will use Foobar2000. It (the silence removal) works out-of-the-box and does other cool stuff as well.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 06:41:32 PM »
I might as well just close this thread then as both do it in the same manner & provide equivalent control over the cut-off level. All I see is the default cut-off is different between the 2 solutions & how you access things is different (plug-in vs dsp manager) but I can't compete with the mighty fb2k so who cares as I sure don't right now after your comment. So lets all just move to fb2k, I get a real job than working on WACUP at massively under minimum wage & the c**ts at Radionomy/Audiovally win in having managed to kill Winamp. Seems good to me.

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 12:22:02 AM »
I might as well just close this thread...
ouch!