Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Hello.  (Read 12823 times)

tjh

• Señor Chicken
  • Beta Tester
  • I'm A Chicken
    • View Profile
Hello.
« on: October 29, 2016, 07:16:43 AM »
I'm tjh.
I'm a longtime Winamp Fan.
I still have my Dropbox folder with every (probably just most) of the Winamp plugins DrO released.

Winamp is Dead.
LONG LIVE WINAMP!

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Hello.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 09:51:00 PM »
You forgot to mention that you're a glutton for punishment as you've been using my plug-ins over the years :D

-dro

victhor

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 02:33:09 PM »
This forum sort of reminds me of the Winamp Enthusiasts Forum =)

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 11:40:35 PM »
Just without the count to xxx thread - that's one best left for wasting RN's bandwidth as they can afford it, heh.

I just can't remember if that managed to get 10,000 or 100,000 posts during the time of that forum before it went back to its origin forum.

-dro

brianxavier

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 02:18:58 AM »
Weee... so orange so fun... :D Yeah I tryed to stay away from the other forums as long as I could... think I wound up giving in and pestering you about something trivial Dr O... but you did help me fix it. :D

And now for the show! *grabs the popcorn*

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 04:42:01 AM »
Yeah it is a bit orange :) Its based on the main colour of the old Winamp logo when run through some tool I used back in January (cannot find what it was at the moment) though some parts on the forum theme seem to be a bit brighter so will have to consider toning things down a little bit (otherwise I guess I could try to do a dark theme based on either the classic base skin or the bento skin colours).

I'm also going to have to apologise now but I really cannot put your username to one that rings a bell at the moment unless you went under a different name (though I can start to blame age for that, heh).

-dro

brianxavier

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 06:50:21 AM »
No worries, it was towards the end of Winamp under AOL, I would be surprised if you did remember me. :) But I do try and use this nickname and avatar when I join a forum. Alas my facebook uses my real name... so that might cause confusion. :)

Best of luck with things! :D

n8wachT

• n8wachT
  • 'Kansas, we´re not inside Toto anymore.'
    • View Profile
    • n8wachT microblog
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 11:10:57 PM »
I still have my Dropbox folder with every (probably just most) of the Winamp plugins DrO released.

I'm probably just as big of a fan like you (seems the place to be out here ;))

Couple of weeks ago I bumped into someone who shared his opendirectory- containing a snapshot
of everything Winamp, just before Nullsoft pulled the plug. I have this feeling you might enjoy browsing
around these directories. I already mirrored it to an external drive- in case the server wouldnt hold.

Just one thing: make sure you have an updated anti-virus running on the background. I had a few
positives. Nothing dangerous, more like some old-skool PUP-ware (and a couple false positives).
But better safe than sorry right, ready?.... The screenshot below gives an idea of how the plugin folder
looks. Have phun!

http://winamp.dpedu.io/

"You asked me if I was in the meth business or the money business… neither. I’m in the empire business."

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 12:19:10 PM »
One thing to keep in mind with a lot of the older plug-ins that were on the old winamp.com site is that they don't tend to play well with newer versions of Windows from Vista and onwards due to them trying to write their settings into the Winamp program files folder or not being portable mode compatible or can break unicode support (which my unicodetaskbarfixer plug-in tried to resolve).

So just something to keep in mind incase things don't work right after installing them (primarily settings not being remembered or getting odd crashes / error messages).

Have to say I'm surprised at just how many people dumped copies of the old site files when the mess that arose from the closure / sale notice happened.

-dro

n8wachT

• n8wachT
    • View Profile
    • n8wachT microblog
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 01:13:52 AM »
So just something to keep in mind incase things don't work right after installing them (primarily settings not being remembered or getting odd crashes / error messages).

-dro

Thats why I also mentioned keeping a up to date virusscanner running on the background. Most of the stuff you probably are better of by not using it, but
its great fun to browse around the directories a bit. Nostalgic twinkeling  :)
"You asked me if I was in the meth business or the money business… neither. I’m in the empire business."

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 01:16:57 AM »
I know what you mean ;)

Tbh looking at some of those old plug-ins reminds me of when skin & plug-in reviews were a commonly done thing (I did some of the later plug-in reviews). Plus it's a good way to rediscover things that can and should be re-implemented in some form :)

-dro

n8wachT

• n8wachT
    • View Profile
    • n8wachT microblog
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 01:27:18 AM »
I think you are right. It was one of the first massive visited community fora where user reviewing (especially on the plugin and AVS development)
took a huge step forward. And look how much extra stuff it got. Even now there are occasionaly a few new AVS packs that pop up. And now there
is this fantastic concept...!

I missed the first beta but are now looking into the second release  ;D (after backing up every single piece of Winamp how it runs now)

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 01:33:29 AM »
For WACUP it's best to install it into a separate folder for the time being as there's still work that needs to be done to ensure that installing over an existing Winamp install will work ok.

-dro