Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Linux Support  (Read 9361 times)

kuzokol

• View Profile
Linux Support
« on: February 12, 2019, 10:59:55 AM »
It will be great if you can port WACUP to Linux.
There are a lot of players, but Winamp is still better, so this community really need WACUP.

Just my opinion. Hope to see it anywhere in future.

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
Re: Linux Support
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 12:32:39 PM »
Wine is currently your best bet in getting WACUP to run "natively" on Linux, and even then it's a bit unstable (as is per usual with wine)
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

kuzokol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 01:53:07 PM »
Wine isn't an interesting way, but thanks for the reply.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 03:56:14 PM »
The quick answer is there are no near-term plans to have a native WACUP client for linux (or other platforms for that matter).

The reasons for it are that we first need to get to having an all WACUP client that doesn't rely on any (or at least most of the remaining core) of the Winamp 5.666 install that is made use of currently. Even once that has been done, there's then the time needed to port to an OS that I don't actively use & as I've not really been looking at going to other platforms, that's more code work than just getting to an all native Windows version.

So I fully appreciate that there is a demand for linux support but WINE 4.0 with some configuration does seem to be a reasonable solution for a native Winamp/WACUP experience but with the compromises that comes from not using Windows natively.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
  • ... (-(-_(-_-)_-)-) ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 08:56:40 PM »
... hence the name Win(dows)amp - :)

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 10:26:59 PM »
That logic fails a bit with the Winamp3 Linux alpha & the Android app & Mac clients (classic MacOS & then a later OS X thing). Plus it's not a key part of the WACUP name so it can be platform agnostic but for the time being, minor tweaks that maybe allow it to work nicer with how WINE works is the more applicable route to go.

-dro

stimpee

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 11:13:54 AM »
I just want to add that I easily made WACUP run on my Intel Core i9 16 inch MacBook Pro running Big Sur, using the latest PlayOnMac executable (v4.3.3). I chose to install the 32-bit version of WACUP with all the addons, as a portable app in the default folder which is has "crossover" in the path. It just works.

I can even drag and drop mp3s onto the playlist editor from MacOS.