Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Album Art for Streaming - Module Rename  (Read 22250 times)

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
  • ... (-(-_(-_-)_-)-) ...
    • View Profile
Album Art for Streaming - Module Rename
« on: February 09, 2019, 02:11:47 AM »
Hi -

I am no technocrat and I don't know if this is even remotely possible.

1 - I listen to several dozen different on-line music, talk, preachin', etc. stations and think it would be cool if I could assign some relative image/artwork to each stream. I notice that in 'edit bookmarks' there are two entry boxes, one for the url and one for user customization of the bookmark's name/ title. Perhaps here is where a 3rd entry box can be created to specify a path to an image from  the computer or from the web and then maybe store the images in the app's directory for reduced load times/cpu overhead. I don't know if this is hard-coded, but a green image of the WACUP logo currently appears when I am listening to online stations, so maybe?

2 - What is the likelihood of being able to rename the modules? Not to be rude or anything but I would like to rename the Main window to something other than WACUP and Enhancer to something else as well.

thx,
-Marc.

victhor

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
Re: Album Art for Streaming - Module Rename
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 02:52:16 PM »
2 - What is the likelihood of being able to rename the modules? Not to be rude or anything but I would like to rename the Main window to something other than WACUP and Enhancer to something else as well.

I think I can answer this one. For the WACUP word, where do you want it to take it off from? From the upper left corner of Big Bento Modern it is toggable from the Skin settings (Main menu - Skin settings - Appearance > disable "Show WACUP logo"). From menus and such, is a totally different matter, which I don't think is possible.

Enhancer uses a Standard Windows IIRC, so to remove the title from there you could edit one of the skin's file, but it will remove ALL names of the standard windows (like "Jump to file", "Queue manager" and all plugins that opens on external windows)... is that acceptable for you? Or is not a good trade?

EDIT: Stupid me, I've just seen on the other thread that you're using Classic skin. I think your only chance is to edit the graphic files..
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 02:56:29 PM by victhor »

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 05:13:19 PM »
. I think your only chance is to edit the graphic files..
thx for reply. where are the files and what editor do you suggest? I do have Photoshop.

ariszlo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 09:48:27 PM »
where are the files and what editor do you suggest?

Modifying a skin's graphics is only ok for your own use. You should not pass a modified skin on without the original author's permission. But it is much better to make your own skin. Download the Skinner Atlas skin, unzip it and read the README.

You may also want to study the Winamp 5 base skin.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 09:49:22 PM by ariszlo »

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 10:09:49 PM »
where are the files and what editor do you suggest?

Modifying a skin's graphics is only ok for your own use. You should not pass a modified skin on without the original author's permission. But it is much better to make your own skin. Download the Skinner Atlas skin, unzip it and read the README.

You may also want to study the Winamp 5 base skin.
OK - Apparently you missed the first 4 words of the op. Loading an image into photoshop, playing around and saving the finished image is my limit. And why would I want to distribute my personal artwork? Also, changing the textual name of the module is really not much of a graphic mod imo. Finally, I am much much more interested in the first item.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:15:48 PM by MourningStar »

ariszlo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 10:43:04 PM »
OK - Apparently you missed the first 4 words of the op. Loading an image into photoshop, playing around and saving the finished image is my limit.

Then just accept it as it is. The title bar image of the WACUP Classic Skin is in winamp_res.dll. I don't have PhotoShop but I doubt you can edit dlls with it.

Also, changing the textual name of the module is really not much of a graphic mod imo.

The titlebars of classic skins are images.

Finally, I am much much more interested in the first item.

OK. I cannot answer that. Maybe somebody else?

victhor

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 10:52:15 PM »
Huh.. I almost forgot about this, I'll reply more in detail when I get home.

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 12:05:43 AM »
The title bar image of the WACUP Classic Skin is in winamp_res.dll. I don't have PhotoShop but I doubt you can edit dlls with it.
perhaps there is an image in the dll that could be extracted, modified  with a graphics editor and replaced with the modified version?

victhor

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 12:15:20 AM »
Modifying a skin's graphics is only ok for...

He never mentioned he would share the modded file..

thx for reply. where are the files and what editor do you suggest? I do have Photoshop.

Damn.. I forgot the classic skin is embeded on the dll. So you'll be better off just using the original Winamp Classic skin if you can get it from somewhere else.. (I couldn't find it from a quick look around)

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 12:43:05 AM »
Well, I looked in the winamp_res.dll. Located only one image in it that might be the one, modified it and put it back. Re-booted the machine, fired up WACUP but no change (yes, I did make a backup of the original). fwiw I have attached the modded image for your pleasure (and as indicated earlier, not much of a mod at that).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:53:47 AM by MourningStar »

victhor

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 12:49:00 AM »
No, it won't work because it's not it, the skin is made of pieces, the one with "WACUP" on it is smaller IIRC.
Maybe on Monday DrO can throw you a line with the file. But I'm pretty sure it's out there. Just can't look around too much because.. It's weekend, and weekend makes people go on and off computers, even me hehe.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 01:43:23 AM by victhor »

ariszlo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 05:58:13 AM »
Located only one image in it that might be the one

No, it is not that. It is this.

Still, you had better convert the extracted images to bmp format and rename them using the filenames of the Winamp 5 base skin and either keep the files in a subdirectory inside the Skins directory or zip them.

If you just put the modified png back to the dll then you will lose the changes when WACUP is updated.

He never mentioned he would share the modded file..

No, he hasn't.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:59:54 AM by ariszlo »

ariszlo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 08:40:07 AM »
As for your first question, it does not usually work out well if you raise more than one topic in a single post. Normally, only one of your questions will be answered.

To get answers to your first question, you had better open a new thread with a new title. Something like "Classic Art plugin with custom stream art" would likely draw DrO's attention to it, who is the maintainer of that plugin.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 11:45:33 AM »
I can split / answer the thread properly later tonight (just got that pesky thing of a weekend getting in the way of things 😉). Something can be done for both things raised as my quick reply.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 05:23:10 PM »
I can split / answer the thread properly later tonight (just got that pesky thing of a weekend getting in the way of things 😉). Something can be done for both things raised as my quick reply.

-dro
dro, thank you for checking in, appreciated. Enjoy your time off, it's important for you and this issue is not. I also understand that development of the project should have your priority. All things at your convenience is understood.

ariszlo, Your advice for separate thread for separate issue is logical and I apologize for not doing that.

victhor, thx for chiming in. You too, enjoy your time off.

laters all,
-MourningStar