Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Streaming to Xbox  (Read 7614 times)

wicheOSI

• Beta Tester
  • Dreaming isn't living
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Streaming to Xbox
« on: August 04, 2017, 11:24:50 PM »
I love it so far! I wish it would work on more browsers tho, particularly in Microsoft's Edge that way I could stream to my Xbox One! LOL

Keep up the great work, Dro! Amazing as always.

"Love is an act of blood and I'm bleeding a pool in the shape of a heart... This is not how I want it to end and I'll never be open again... and I'll have no more dreams to defend"

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Streaming to Xbox
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 11:51:37 PM »
Hmm, Edge was one of the browsers I'd tested against to check that stream playback and the basic access page with the html5 audio player would work. Firefox, Chrome and the IE version on Win10 were also checked (just to cover the obvious cases I've got already installed).

I know that AAC based streams won't play in Edge but MP3 streams should be ok if using the browser page. Firefox is the only one that does it for me on Windows despite not being noted as a supported html5 audio format. Otherwise not knowing what the playback support is on the Xbox, you might need to use the direct stream url.

If you can let me know a bit more about how you setup the stream (probably best to send that via pm) and I'll see what I can work out as to why it's not working.

-dro

wicheOSI

• Beta Tester
  • Dreaming isn't living
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 12:27:14 AM »
I set it up with SHOUTCast DPS Source, using the AAC encoder... will do testing with the mp3 enconder once I get a chance when I get back home! Will let u know!

"Love is an act of blood and I'm bleeding a pool in the shape of a heart... This is not how I want it to end and I'll never be open again... and I'll have no more dreams to defend"

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 01:10:27 AM »
Ah ok, so it is AAC being used. It's mainly down to licensing that AAC typically needs a dedicated player to be able to play it (which I suspect Firefox works as it's leveraging the available OS codec support unlike with MP3 which is generally just baked in - especially due to it now having gone patent free).

The only other thing I can think off is that it would require the AAC stream being in an MP4 container (i.e. think of it as an M4A file that is streamed) though I'm not sure if that's the only obvious way to do it or not. I last looked into this stuff in late 2014 so my existing crude knowledge on the matter may not be applicable.

Tbh it'd probably be better if I looked into getting Opus streaming support working (which would also require a replacement source dsp which is on my todo list) as that's starting to look like the way things are going for higher quality at lower bitrate and it avoids some aspects related to creating AAC and MP4 content (patents and licensing).

-dro

wicheOSI

• Beta Tester
  • Dreaming isn't living
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 08:02:46 PM »
Just tried with MP3 encoder and now it says application is not supported on xbox! lol

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 12:27:03 AM »
Not having access to an xbox (I've never used any version of one) I'm not sure why it'd not be working.

Can you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing please (pm or post depending on if it's showing anything personal or not) just so i've a better idea of what you're seeing, thanks.

-dro

wicheOSI

• Beta Tester
  • Dreaming isn't living
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 07:05:24 PM »
This is what happens when I try to open it on the Edge browser on the Xbox One. Works okay on the computer tho.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 11:44:22 PM »
Not sure why it'd have thought it's trying to open something as the server page is pretty simple with a bit of html + javascript that manipulates the html5 audio object. One thing to try is to append a semi-colon onto the end of the url e.g. 127.0.0.1/; (obviously changing the IP address to what's appropriate for the xbox to make connection to the machine that winamp is running upon) and see if that does anything. I'll also do some digging based on that error message.

-dro

wicheOSI

• Beta Tester
  • Dreaming isn't living
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 06:59:46 PM »
No luck with semi-colon neither, same error message appears.