Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18916 (April 18th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18916 (April 18th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: More Playlist Sorting options  (Read 5690 times)

evil_pro

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
More Playlist Sorting options
« on: November 12, 2017, 11:02:01 PM »
Hello everyone,

recently while I was listening to an album I had idea of being able to sort the playlist by the "Track #" tag.

Maybe somebody else would like other options too? Like sorting the playlist by artist, album or year tag?
Would be great to hear everyone's opinions and ideas below :)

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: More Playlist Sorting options
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 07:06:02 PM »
Is a good idea and ideally any sorting options added need to be applied to both the main and library playlists. Is probably a few other options that can be added that are based more about the tagging of the files, is just whether it's a fixed order or try to make it more dynamic (more involved but a bit more flexible for the long-term).

One thing with the specific request is that it'd probably need to take into account another value (e.g. album or album artist) so if it's sorting within a larger playlist that it'll do the sorting correctly for each album (which isn't an issue when only dealing with a playlist for just the files related to a single album :) ).

-dro

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Re: More Playlist Sorting options
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 09:51:15 PM »
Hi evil_pro,

If all your songs contain the correct info in their tags (metadata) that you want to sort by, then there is already a way to sort a playlist editor listing by the desired tag.

The info displayed for each item in the playlist editor is collectively referred to as it's title. You can use the ATF (Advanced Title Formatting) option on the "Titles" tab in Preferences, to make a custom title string that places the tag you want to sort by 1st in a title string (e.g. %album% %track% %artist% - %title%). You can use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+P to open or close the Preferences window.

You are given the option of re-displaying the items listed in the playlist editor after making a custom title string and closing Preferences (or selecting another Preferences option). You can change the ATF string anytime you want, but I would stop playback to ensure Winamp/WACUP doesn't get confused.

Then you can use the sort command in the context menu for the Misc button (at the bottom of the playlist editor), to sort the listing by the revised title info. Right-click on the right-most button in the group of 4, point to "Sort", and click on the "Sort list by title" command. You can also use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+1, when the playlist editor is the active window/panel.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 10:00:39 PM by Aminifu »
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system