Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: MilkDrop - Default Preset, and Favorites  (Read 2725 times)

ferropop

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
MilkDrop - Default Preset, and Favorites
« on: February 17, 2022, 11:56:21 PM »
Wish for the ability to set a preset as "default" on launch of WACUP.

Even better, ability to have a list of "favourites" that WACUP cycles through exclusively.

There's SO many MilkDrop presets, and there's no real way to reliably use just the ones you like - unless I'm missing something?

Thanks!

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Re: MilkDrop - Default Preset, and Favorites
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 01:22:55 AM »

There's SO many MilkDrop presets, and there's no real way to reliably use just the ones you like - unless I'm missing something?

Thanks!

The Milkdrop presets are stored in the users WACUP - Plugins - Milkdrop2 - Presets folder. What I did was make another folder under the Milkdrop2 folder and moved all the presets I didn't want to use to it. This lets me simply move them back and forth when I want a new working set.

Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

ferropop

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 01:34:39 AM »

Thanks!

The Milkdrop presets are stored in the users WACUP - Plugins - Milkdrop2 - Presets folder. What I did was make another folder under the Milkdrop2 folder and moved all the presets I didn't want to use to it. This lets me simply move them back and forth when I want a new working set.

That's a great workaround, thanks for sharing!

Hope this can still reach the devs - some kind of choice/control over presets would be much appreciated by everyone.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 02:35:52 AM »
The dev has read this & has comments... there's also the rating system but that's probably not going to fully suit what's needed. The moving into a folder is the quickest way to do what's wanted to ensure it's only going to play what you want it to play especially since the Milkdrop builds with WACUP since last year will try to play any presets within the current folder & sub-folder unless that mode is turned off in the plug-in configuration.

As for the request, I've had it from someone else recently about some form of favourite list but I've not put any thought into it as I don't know what approach to take that doesn't either potentially break the existing handling (not good) or make the ui messy to interact with (since it's not great as-is).

A default preset should be simple enough to do (famous last words) other than how it deals with the file being missing - would assume just to go back to the existing behaviour.

-dro

ferropop

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 06:49:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply, it's appreciated.

If you follow Aminifu's workaround, that can be leveraged with some kind of mini file browser.

ie, you can make folders in the root of c:\Program Files\WACUP\Plugins\Milkdrop2

..and you can move presets in and out of the folders.  Keep everything the same - the Presets folder is the master folder that is used by MilkDrop when cycling, but you can freely make other folders and put presets in them.

Just a thought - technically wouldn't break anything at all if you consider my example approach

Thank you!

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 10:02:53 AM »
ie, you can make folders in the root of c:\Program Files\WACUP\Plugins\Milkdrop2
Nope, putting things into the program files folder is something I intentionally changed what WACUP does to not do & instead use the settings folder so that edits, ratings & a management is easier.

Maybe just having a predefined favourites folder would be the simple way to do it. Will come up with something when I get around to working on this but there's at least a viable workaround to get the desired behaviour.

-dro