Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Do you want to help us build the new #winamp?  (Read 2272 times)

hanschke

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Do you want to help us build the new #winamp?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 01:19:22 PM »
It's not cool & just proves they've been lying again for however many years it's been & is all they will keep on doing again & again.

If all you want is something that's "official" not that it means anything as there's no lineage with anything that came before then so be it & I'll instead be productive with my time & get back on with WACUP.

-dro
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 01:38:23 PM by dro »

hanschke

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 02:36:49 PM »
ohh I haven't seen it that way and I can't imagine that it will be like it used to be, so I appreciate your work and I believe that the name will only be marketed.

DutchQuixote

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 07:16:39 PM »
I get the frustration with Nullsoft/Radionomy/Audiovalley, but the constant bashing of them is getting a bit tiresome. Too much bitterness. It's always the same tune. In Dutch: "Het is niks, het was niks, en het zal ook nooit wat worden." ("It is rubbish, it used to be rubbish and it will never be anything but rubbish.")

Looking at their job link (https://audiovalley.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=38), they seem to be pretty serious, so let's give them a chance to prove themselves. AudioValley <> Radionomy <> Nullsoft.

You don't assemble an entire team just to have them do nothing. We here all may know Winamp, but as a brand, hardly anyone of the newer IT generation knows it. The name Winamp is not the developer magnet some of us would like to think. Winamp is like floppy disks or WordPerfect. They used to be everywhere and were the number one in their field, but now hardly anybody under the age of 30, who's not in IT, knows about them.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'm willing to be surprised.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 07:18:21 PM by DutchQuixote »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 09:45:15 PM »
I've seen them post such job listings before & not fill them. I've also had them lie to my face & try to do me out of money for work done for them so do excuse my scepticism but nothing that has been done for the past few years has changed my view point of them & how they do things. Your view is yours & mine is mine & I thank you for your observation which I agree is bitter but I'd like to think I'm at least doing better by actually providing something.

I'm also more than aware that Winamp as a thing is a dead-end with the brand effectively tarnished / irrelevant, its glory days are long gone & the floppy disk analogy is very fitting. However you have to ask why many still use various versions of Winamp instead of flocking to the wall garden world of streaming services.

Either way, choice is a thing & my choice is to become an ex-Winamp user & no longer be reliant upon Winamp for WACUP to run & to try to provide something that maintains a Winamp-like experience on Windows for those that are actually wanting it & something that's supported & is where needed refined for what is needed nowadays & not what was bearable 20 years back.

-dro

[edit]
Just wanted to add something else, Nullsoft doesn't exist anymore. That as a legal entity died when SHOUTcast & Winamp were sold. It's also fair to say that Nullsoft proper died in 2004 when the last parts of the original dev team left AOL - I never counted myself really working for "Nullsoft" when I was contracted to work on Winamp & SHOUTcast.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 09:59:16 PM by dro »

DutchQuixote

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 09:44:43 PM »
Oops. You're right. I forgot all about AOL.  :)

But that's just my point. The 'them' you're talking about may not be the same people you had run-ins with. Although I just checked the website for AudioValley and their CEO is the same guy who promised us a new Winamp 8 was coming in 2019, when he was CEO of Radionomy... Damn. I'll have to adjust my hopes somewhat again.

The thing that for me sets apart Winamp from all the rest, both past and present, is its library. The Spotify 'library' - and I use that term very loosely - sucks. If there would ever be a Winamp/WACUP with a native Windows GUI (WPF?) instead of the current graphical skins, which could also be used as a Spotify player, I would be a very happy camper. (A guy can dream, can't he? ;))

You're right. As long as there are people interested in WACUP, and as long as you find enjoyment in creating it, keep on coding! :)