Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: FLAC support  (Read 3593 times)

MRakestraw

• music addict
    • View Profile
FLAC support
« on: February 23, 2021, 10:33:56 PM »
As an embedded systems hardware engineer and have been involved with many firmware / software validation projects and am aware how important it is to have a plan and stick with it when it comes to this type of development, that being said...
Last year I started to convert my collection from mp3 to FLAC, about 700 CDs, and had to start using MusicBee to play my FLAC content. I'm not knocking MusicBee it has some great features but Winamp/WACUP is so much more intuitive for me not to mention I have been a Winamp user for almost 20 years.
I cant imaging the time and effort that has been put into the WACUP project and I don't want to make anyone feel that I don't appreciate it,
but I am just wondering if their is a guess about when WACUP might implement FLAC support?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 10:35:47 PM by MRakestraw »
Music Addict

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: FLAC support
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 11:07:14 PM »
WACUP has always supported local FLAC playback. Maybe I'm missing something as it should already work as long as the FLAC input plug-in is installed & nothing else is trying to handle those files before it gets a chance.

-dro

MRakestraw

• music addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 12:00:23 AM »
In the words of Emily Litella, "Never mind!"
Well now I feel a little stupid,   Problem solved!

Thanks!
Music Addict

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 03:03:31 AM »
Not to worry. There were bugs in some of the older builds that caused failure to play in some setups so it might've been related to that. Also there's still a need for FLAC streaming support so I'll count it as that's what you're missing ;)

-dro

Mits

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 09:20:53 PM »
If I remember well, flac playback was possible from day 1 of Wacup. What is still in the todo list is flac .cue support.

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 01:07:07 AM »
I don't understand the benefit of converting MP3s to a lossless format.
The quality won't be better as the damage is already done, and you waste a lot of space.

@Mits WACUP does have CUE support but not as a playlist.
Open the wave display for a file and if the CUE file is there you should see names and dividers.
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 01:11:07 AM »
For what's expected with proper CUE support (where each item is treated as separate of the main file), I can't really count the waveform seeker support other than just being a visual guide. It'll be added, just not sure on the ETA for it. Anyhoo, the reason for the thread has been dealt with :)

-dro

Mits

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 11:49:54 AM »
@Dr Flay
> the benefit of converting MP3s to a lossless format

Of course there's no benefit! There's a benefit only when you re-rip your purchased CD to flac.