Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18798 (April 7th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Bug + feature request  (Read 3548 times)

djsubtronic

• View Profile
Bug + feature request
« on: December 23, 2020, 01:49:33 AM »
Hello

I've been a strictly Winamp user for over 20 years so I was quite happy to have discovered WACUP today, thank you for the community efforts to keep Winamp up to date.

I wanted to just bring to your attention a bug, and also a feature request.

The bug is that the "scroll taskbar text" option in the taskbar settings does not remember if you enabled it after WACUP is restarted. It is always disabled when run. Couldn't find a corresponding ini file option for it even in the stock Winamp so I have no idea how this option is remembered.

As for the feature request, it is something that already exists in the stock DirectSound output plugin, which is a "Hybrid" volume control in addition to the Linear and Logarithmic. The "not so DirectSound" plugin (which I believe is supposed to replace the stock one at some point) only contains Linear and Logarithmic. The Hybrid setting is actually pretty good, so would be nice to have that included in the new output plugin as well.

Thanks!

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Bug + feature request
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 04:12:23 AM »
I've still to check out the scrolling issue so I'll see if I can replicate that before I release a new update in the coming week.

However I spent some time today on trying to determine what the out_ds hybrid mode is doing & it's seemingly just a modified logarithmic action with a higher base starting volume level once a volume is actually needed (around -38dB vs -64dB). So I've added in something that seems to be close to what is going on & the next build will see the removal of out_ds (unless it's been explictly set as the plug-in to use) & notsodirect to take over.

-dro

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 01:13:52 AM »
The bug is that the "scroll taskbar text" option in the taskbar settings does not remember if you enabled it after WACUP is restarted. It is always disabled when run. Couldn't find a corresponding ini file option for it even in the stock Winamp so I have no idea how this option is remembered.

I've had a look & toggling the 'Scroll the text in the taskbar' option at Preferences -> General -> Taskbar -> Taskbar Text always is being remembered correctly from what I've tried against build 6800 & my dev build. There was an issue with that option in the older 5684 builds which I've had others confirm is fixed with the new build.

So can I double-check what WACUP build you're using?

-dro

djsubtronic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 03:53:14 PM »
Thanks for looking into these, and your replies!

I was using build 5864 as this was the latest one I could see on the site when I posted. I can confirm the taskbar scroll works fine in build 6800.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 03:56:42 PM »
You must have just missed 6800 going up but the main thing is that it's now working ok with the newer build :)

-dro

djsubtronic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 05:00:31 PM »
Thanks a lot for adding the Hybrid option in the latest build. However it still seems different to the original one - for example, at around 50-60% volume in the Not So Direct plugin, it's very very quiet compared to 100%, whereas on the original, 50% is still a reasonable level. Not a big deal but just thought I'd point it out.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 05:33:11 PM »
What's the overall WACUP process audio level set to according to the Window's volume control?

I did note in the changelog that it was an approximation though it had sounded reasonably similar from my testing & trying to determine what the actual disassembled out_ds code is (so I've probably not worked that out right). I'll look into this & maybe add a means to allow you to tune it so its quicker to find what's wanted.

-dro

djsubtronic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 06:38:33 PM »
WACUP is set to 100% in Windows volume mixer.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 01:33:19 AM »
Ok, I'll hopefully get something sorted in the coming week for you to try out.

-dro

djsubtronic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 02:01:07 PM »
Thanks, a tuning feature as you mentioned could be pretty cool too.

Keep up the great work, haven't found any other issues in my day to day use yet.