Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #19100 (May 10th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #19100 (May 10th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Odd Question to DrO  (Read 2081 times)

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
  • ... (-(-_(-_-)_-)-) ...
    • View Profile
Odd Question to DrO
« on: November 03, 2021, 02:43:38 PM »
as the goal of the project (my take, correct if I wrong) is to go without the winamp core will the app be re-christened?

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Odd Question to DrO
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 02:53:30 PM »
Correct & that's now partially been achieved with the recent betas but isn't going to be the default mode for a while until the eq & modern skin support aspects are resolved. As due to what I'm trying to offer, things like some of the filenames are going to have to keep the winamp related names as that's the only way to offer the compatibility that I'm going for - that's the one thing that I would like to not have to do but for now it's got to stay.

As such I don't really see a need to change the WACUP name (much like the meaning of WINE has changed over time but is still called WINE) not that anything has come to mind from some prior thinking as this has been asked recently elsewhere.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 05:39:29 PM »
thx for reply. actually, I have never known if 'Winamp' stood for something specific. I simply went strolling thru life thinking it stood for 'WINdowsAMPlifier', but this can't be right (or is it?).

:P

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 06:10:47 PM »
Winamp started out as WinAMP which referred to it being the Windows version of an AMP based decoder (DOSAmp predated WinAMP as the DOS version using the same decoder). Over time the name mutated from WinAMP to WinAmp to Winamp (along with the Winamp3/WinaMP3 naming).

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 09:39:39 PM »
ok - so 'win' stands for windows. , ... and the 'amp'? audio media player, ...?

no matter - for me, I'll go with anger management program because it's always my goto for relief ...   ;)

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 10:08:06 PM »
I don't know why the AMP MP3 decoder library was called AMP. Just that it was then used as part of the software name after having been done with the DOS version as I understand it.

[edit]
Just found https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomislav_Uzelac which implies AMP is Advanced Multimedia Products

-dro

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 10:21:16 PM »
no matter - for me, I'll go with anger management program because it's always my goto for relief ...   ;)

I like MourningStar's definition.  :)
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 12:06:59 AM »

[edit]
Just found https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomislav_Uzelac which implies AMP is Advanced Multimedia Products

-dro