Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #19100 (May 10th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #19100 (May 10th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Genre Tag Issue  (Read 172 times)

musicf8

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Genre Tag Issue
« on: May 05, 2024, 10:29:42 PM »
When opening the file info on a song, the genre tag will automatically select a nearest genre if the current saved tag is not in the default genre list.

For example, I nave a number of tracks that I have labeled genre "Symphonic".  If I open the file info on one of them, the genre changes to "Symphonic Rock".  This would mess up tags if, for example, someone was to open the file info to view or make other edits and clicked OK without noticing the genre.

This is on the latest preview (1.99.12.18980) and was present in the prior preview.  This is also with the ID3v1 disabled (mp3 file).

Non-issue in winamp 5.666
Current Setup: Windows 10 Pro, Sound Blaster Z, Logitech Z-5500, WACUP v1.99.13.19100 (or latest preview if I'm too lazy to update the signature)

MarkRH

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Mark Headrick's Website
Re: Genre Tag Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 05:30:00 AM »
I tested this out (with v1.99.12.18980) with a MP3 file I made using the Genre of "Symphonic" that I tagged with MP3TAG and then added it into Wacup.  I then viewed the file with the "View File Info" or ALT-3 option and it did just show "Symphonic" in the Genre field.

Now, if I select the field it does seem to automatically choose "Symphonic Rock" when clicking the down arrow.   If I just click in the field then it doesn't change it. 

MP3TAG behaves the same way with the Genre field so suspect this is normal behavior.  Is yours changing if you just click in the field?

musicf8

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 05:45:24 AM »
Thanks Mark for checking.

No, right when I go into the the view file info it changes instantly without even clicking into it.  Even tried in safe mode and still the same issue.

see the attached gif
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 05:48:03 AM by musicf8 »
Current Setup: Windows 10 Pro, Sound Blaster Z, Logitech Z-5500, WACUP v1.99.13.19100 (or latest preview if I'm too lazy to update the signature)

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 08:32:13 AM »
Check the preferences - advanced - options page 2 tab. If the "Only show genres from the genres.txt ..." option is enabled, try disabling it.
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 10:25:05 AM »
It's most likely down to how the find in the dropdown is done which can be either be an exact match or a first part that matches approach (this being what I assume is happening until I check things out).

-dro

musicf8

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2024, 05:24:46 PM »
Check the preferences - advanced - options page 2 tab. If the "Only show genres from the genres.txt ..." option is enabled, try disabling it.

checked and it is disabled

It's most likely down to how the find in the dropdown is done which can be either be an exact match or a first part that matches approach (this being what I assume is happening until I check things out).

-dro

Let me know if it is indeed a bug or an issue on my end.  Like I mentioned, it seems the genre is automatically selected and changed just by opening the file info which is a concerning issue for me as I sometimes do edit info that way.

I tried opening other genre songs and it seems that if it is an original unmatching genre (i.e. the genre lists 'chillout' but I labeled the genre as 'Chill Out') then the file info opens normally with no change in genre nor is the genre highlighted.
If I tried opening the file info on a song that has a genre that is in the genre list (i.e. Trance), then the genre field is highlighted right when opening.

My guess is it seems that the drop down matches the genre (or attempts to match) right when opening the file info which is causing the issue.  I would think it shouldn't be doing that until the dropdown is actually selected, but you would know best dro.

thanks.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2024, 11:42:48 PM »
The problem is mostly due to how the OS combobox / dropdown control wants to do things & so far I can't find anything obvious that'd allow me to override the matching it's automatically trying to do (isn't something I'm actively doing on the basic info tab nor is in_mp3 doing afaict on the id3v2 tab - also probably affects the id3v1 tab).

The setting of the text in that control which has to be done otherwise you have the alternative issue of losing metadata then appears to automatically trigger the control to search within what's been added & try to match to that. This is also going to affect things like the batch edit dialog (though that doesn't seem to do it until interacting with it - something that mp3tag also seems to do) & any instance of the combobox / dropdown control when user input is enabled vs the string not being already known to it.

What I can do to try to workaround the issue on the basic info dialog is to insert the given genre string if it's not found & that keeps it happy. I still need to work out why it's showing it as selected text when that's not what I'm wanting it to do. I'll have to see about hooking the id3v2 tab & trying to do the same.

-dro

musicf8

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2024, 12:13:44 AM »
Thanks dro for looking into this. 

Yes, the behavior of mp3tag and winamp 5.666 is normally what I would expect, where the genre text is unaltered and is unselected until the dropdown box is selected.

musicf8

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2024, 06:56:20 PM »
Thanks for fixing this (as of 1.99.13.19100). 
Personally speaking, I like this better than how it is done in mp3tag/5.666, showing the custom genre in the list.

I think that was the last thing that prevented me to move primarily to wacup, so glad to finally make the switch.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2024, 04:46:45 PM »
That's good to know it's improved things. Its still a bit of a pain due to how the combobox/dropdown control works but main thing is it works well enough now.

-dro