Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Wacup Lockup When Double Clicking Song In Library  (Read 4880 times)

miko

• View Profile
Wacup Lockup When Double Clicking Song In Library
« on: August 08, 2020, 10:55:06 PM »
This happens more times than not meaning it has been able to play tracks right away as soon as I double click them in library view but mostly not. Is this normal behavior or known behavior to where Wacup locks up when double clicking any song in the library view? The freeze duration can last from 3-5 seconds before playback starts by the way. I have tried right clicking songs and playing them but experience the same lockup behavior. I can't remember the circumstances when Wacup didn't lock up but on the same day it eventually started locking up "freezing" but only the Wacup program and not PC. I am using the latest preview build.

My PC is AMD ryzen 3900x based, so surely it can handle this player.

Edit: I feel silly I forgot to include an important part that I am running Windows 10 64bit latest final version.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 11:00:22 PM by miko »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Wacup Lockup When Double Clicking Song In Library
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 12:22:32 AM »
Trying to play a single item shouldn't be causing an unresponsive player especially for that amount of time unless they're on say a shared network drive & that is taking a while to respond.

Much larger selections (into 1000s of items) can cause things to hang for a while (how long will vary by the number of items) as the action is handled synchronously & that can just take a while to complete which due to how the winamp core works can cause the main thread to be blocked until I all completes. This is something I'm slowly trying to work my way through to resolve all of the possible scenarios it happens as I drop winamp code for wacup solutions.

One quick thing you can try out is dragging the file to the playlist editor from the library view to see if that still hangs or not.

If it doesn't hang then I know what I need to work on changing with the replacement local library plug-in (the current default ml_local will be dropped at some point before the end of the year). If it does hang then it's either the plug-in or likely something about the entries that is causing the issue which would need to be determined.

-dro

miko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 12:52:31 AM »
Hello, thanks for checking my post. I can confirm that double clicking items in the playlist pane on the right the songs start playing automatically but doing the same in the main library area the delay lockup is present. I currently have many thousands of songs in my library.

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 05:37:11 PM »
Hi,

Look at the Preferences - Media Library - Options tab. How are the 3 "Double Click or Enter Options" setup?
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

miko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 06:51:52 PM »
Here is a screenshot of the section mentioned.

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 10:35:32 PM »
If you just want to play the song double-clicked on, then remove the check marks next to the "Play all items ..." and "Play search results ..." options. This should end the delay in the song starting.

miko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 03:46:33 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation. It does cut down on the delay but for some reason there is still a small delay. I would prefer to have the songs following the now playing song in playlist instead of double clicking the next songs though. I will wait for a fix.

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 06:45:29 PM »
What you're asking for is a change in the way WACUP works, not a fix. Until now, you didn't make it clear that you wanted to transfer more than 1 item from a library view to the playlist editor at the same time. The "Play all items ..." option would transfer ALL the items in your library beginning with the item double-clicked on. Since your library contains many thousands of items and playback is currently designed to start after the transfer is complete, it will take a few seconds.

If your files are stored on a mechanical hard drive, moving them to a solid state drive would shorten the delay. In this case, it is the read/write speeds of the storage drive and not the power of the CPU that matters.

The transfer does not have to be 1 or all. You can select a group of items to double-click on. Be sure to disable the "Play all items ..." option. You select a group of items in a WACUP view the same way you would select a group of items in Windows Explorer. For a group of consecutive items, you select (point to or click on) the 1st item, then hold down the Shift key and select the last item in the group. For items that are not consecutive, you select the 1st, then hold down the Ctrl key while selecting the others.

Since the transfer of 1 item should take a few milliseconds, the transfer of a few hundred or less should take less than a second.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 07:01:16 PM by Aminifu »

miko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 01:20:33 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 01:47:00 AM »
As they're coming from the library database it should be all in-memory based. The problem (which needs changes but is working correctly vs how it's been coded & the APIs that are used) is due to _each_ item that needs to be added done on a single message call & that gets slow very quickly. So it's a weird it's basically working as expected but the working behaviour is undesired.

I need to add a newer api that can accept the full list of items whilst doing it in a manner that's not going to block the main ui thread (which is the main part of the issue & is something that winamp has always been affected by). I need to decide on what will be the best option for doing that as it's something that needs to be applied more generically to other parts of the library / other plug-ins when large numbers of files need to be quickly added.

If a single item is still taking a noticeable time to be added then that might mean something else is going on (which comes to the slow hard drive or an incorrect re-reading of the metadata from the library / file which can itself be slow at times). If adding from a library playlist is ok then I've an idea on what is likely causing the single item delay in the comparison though it comes back to needing a decent way of adding lots of items without blocking what's going on.

-dro
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 01:53:34 AM by dro »