Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Latest preview crashes after ~4 minutes with high memory usuage  (Read 1669 times)

BillieBlueberry

• View Profile
Latest preview crashes after ~4 minutes with high memory usuage
« on: September 24, 2023, 06:35:07 PM »
I'm listening to music and after 4 minutes it crashed with nearly 4gb of ram used. my playlist is 152 tracks long spanning mp3s, FLACs. WAVs and M4As. i think it's being imported to the library. and I only have the main window and playlist editor open. I've tried using the legacy core as well and it still crashes.
The images attach span the 4 minutes it was open before crashing

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Latest preview crashes after ~4 minutes with high memory usuage
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023, 11:55:06 PM »
Ah you're likely the one with the out of memory issues for which you win the unenviable honour of having the first beta preview build crash report.

Can you detail what steps you're doing or had done please as the crash reports sadly don't give me that information, just that something has caused a full process memory leak (not something that's been seen in such a manner during any of the beta testing). As I can't see anything at the time of the crash indicating the local library is doing an import but it might be due to the memory exhaustion issue that it's masking what's actually going on.

-dro

BillieBlueberry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 01:00:51 AM »
I'm opening it and just listening to my music, that's it. The first few times I was messing with AVS but then I stopped and it was still happening

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 01:24:53 AM »
We've discovered what the issue is, turns out she had an automatic Folder Monitor scan running for a 4TB external drive that wanted to scan everything, which caused a memory leak every time WACUP was started, this was disabled and it now no longer causes insane memory leaks
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 01:47:57 AM »
Hmm, that doesn't however determine what is actually going on to cause such a leak & would normally need to be adding in millions of files un-checked which shouldn't be possible to do (unless something else has gone awry). At least I can probably discard dsp_wc / audioscrobbler being part of the problem as I'd just been looking into.

So what is it about the setup that's triggering the issue... as the most obvious things are either albumart handling issues (e.g. massive images) whilst trying to determine what is present for the files or that I'm just missing a dumb bug somewhere in freeing a value (or multiple values) &/or is related to a specific type of file &/or an internal api failure which I'm not seeing going wrong.

As I've just tried re-scanning my 320k test db & that's not showing an obvious memory leak (just the duplicated db copy that's expected when processing things causing my install go from ~0.6GB used to ~1.2GB used). I'll have to try out some things with the folder monitor tomorrow as I need to get some :zzz: now.

-dro
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 01:55:33 AM by dro »