Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: BUG: Some legacy plugins do not have settings saved when WACUP is closed  (Read 3322 times)

kylejcrb

• View Profile
Hello,

I've encountered a bug with WACUP build #6800 (and earlier) when using some legacy plugins, in particular the NSF player NotSo Fatso (I prefer this plugin to NSFPlay because of its "Shadow to Playlist" feature.) The plugin itself has proper functionality as expected, but any changes made to the settings within the plugin are not persistent and will reset whenever WACUP is closed. This seems to affect any plugins that would normally save to the plugin.ini file in the C:\Program Files (x86)\WACUP\Plugins directory. Modifying this file manually does not change these settings in WACUP, either.

Abhijit A

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Re: BUG: Some legacy plugins do not have settings saved when WACUP is closed
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 01:13:00 PM »
some of the old plugins have path hardcoded to winamp directory.

for NotSo Fatso, please check the thread in winamp where DrO has replied to the post. (way back in 2012).

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=343374
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 01:19:42 PM by Abhijit A »

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 05:09:59 PM »
NSFplug has this feature.

"New" will overwrite your current playlist with the subsongs of the NSF, "Append" will, as it suggests, appends the subsongs into your current playlist.

Edit: I'm not sure how NSFplug saves it's config, but I'd have to suspect it saves it in the plugins folder instead of the Settings folder (despite being updated regularly)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 05:58:22 PM by Gordon Freeman »
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 04:16:11 AM »
I'm going to say that this isn't a WACUP issue & is all down to the plug-in(s) that haven't been updated to support the Winamp 2.9x settings api which was added in 2002 & far far far too many plug-ins (even those created afterwards) were never updated to make use of it (as old me said per the link note above).

Depending on the plug-in it often requires running WACUP with the plug-in as an administrator once so the settings can be saved. I do however attempt to hook the plug-ins & depending on how it's trying to read/save its settings redirect things to a more appropriate location as part of making things more portable compatible.

Though as NotSoFatso is specifically noted, what version is being used? As my intention is to add an NSFplug based plug-in to WACUP rather than NotSoFatso but depending on the version & if the code is out there (I assume it is from memory for some revisions) I could at least provide a basic update to make it save it's settings in a compatible manner.

-dro
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 04:26:38 AM by dro »

kylejcrb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 10:51:51 AM »
After some more experimenting, I found that it does save its settings, kind of. The plugin saves and reads its settings from the plugins.ini file in the %APPDATA%/Roaming/WACUP/Plugins folder, but it doesn't seem to recognize all of the settings between sessions. For example, even with "Loop Forever=1" present in the .ini, the plugin won't maintain keeping it toggled on when closing and reopening WACUP.

The version I'm using is the last official release 0.851. The source is is still up on the plugin's website: https://disch.zophar.net/notsofatso.php

Thanks Gordon Freeman for pointing that out with NSFPlug. I tried it with both the latest stable and beta versions and while it technically works, the .m3u playlists are formatted incorrectly and only populate using the plugin's Title Format settings rather than the tag information present in NSFe files. I've submitted a report to the NSFPlug dev about it, so hopefully they can correct that eventually.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:04:50 AM by kylejcrb »